Question Laptop shutting down at 70*C instead of throttling or reaching TJunction

Jul 13, 2021
My laptop temperatures would spike when casually browsing chrome. Idle temperature is around 40, but as soon as I open more than 2 chrome tabs, temperature would rapidly jump to around 60C and climb until it reaches 70*C before shutting down.

The CPU isn't even throttling or slowing down. everything is normal. The thermal limit is 100C, not 70C, so I'm not sure why is that happening.

Also temperatures when doing something in chrome would rapidly change and jump up/down, e.g. 41-53-44-65-61-49-58.

I repasted with Arctic MX-4 (I'm pretty sure I did it correctly I did a marathon of tutorials before repasting it), cleaned the cooler, both with air and wipes, and removed all the dust from case. I tried undervolting but it doesn't help. And no, I'm not blocking the fan or or ventilation holes.

The laptop case (exactly where the CPU is), isn't hot or warm at all. The CPU (in task manager) isn't under big load (mostly around 20%).

I can hear my fan spinning, but I can't force it to spin faster, option doesn't exist in any software (HWinfo, Speedfan) or BIOS.

Just to add, I don't know if it's related to this, but whenever I listen to music, there is a short circuit sound (through headphones, as if it was in the song) for a second that repeats every cca. 10 minutes.

I reinstalled Windows 10 (through usb stick).

Laptop model: Toshiba Satellite L50-B-1JJ
CPU: i5-4210U

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blisterbug Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 0
H Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 2
G Laptop Tech Support 0
D Laptop Tech Support 2
I Laptop Tech Support 1
aecanive Laptop Tech Support 0