Laptop shutting off monitor when playing games while plugged in

Mar 2, 2018
Laptop is freezing/shutting off the monitor when playing high performance games (Destiny 2, PUBG, etc). This only occurs when the laptop is plugged into the AC adapter, otherwise it runs the game fine on battery. When running a high performance game (low performance ones work fine), the computer will play it for a few minutes before the screen goes black. From here, the computer is still running but nothing is on the screen. The AC adapter has also shut off and must be unplugged and replugged into the wall to work again. Manually turning off and on the laptop will allow the monitor to show images again. Specs are:
Tracer II Cyberpower
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz Turbo 3.8GHz 6MB Cache Processor
SSD: 500GB WD Blue M.2 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 545MB/s Read and 525MB/s Write
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/2133MHz SODIMM Memory
MOTHERBOARD: Intel® HM175 Express Chipset
VIDEO: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
AC ADAPTER: OEM Chicony 19.5V 11.8A 230W A12-230P1A A230A012L

I've tried taking out the battery, changing Nvidia settings, as well as checking for overheating, it never goes above 60 degrees C. Searched through the other threads and didn't find a solution for it yet. Overall, this leads me to believe it's likely a problem with the AC adapter, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I buy another as 230W adapters are pretty expensive. Any help would be great, thanks!

Solution
A good way to test would be remove the battery and plug in the ac adapter. Not all models can run in this fashion but if you're does and the problem persists It would make a case for replacing the ac adapter.

Otherwise, it could be a GPU issue, as laptops actually do Not preform the same on battery vs when plugged in. They preform much better plugged In. I would say it is one of two things 1. Most likely a faulty adapter. And 2. A failing GPU both are fairly common but it would seem that the adapter is the most probable issue

sharp334

Great
Mar 2, 2018
A good way to test would be remove the battery and plug in the ac adapter. Not all models can run in this fashion but if you're does and the problem persists It would make a case for replacing the ac adapter.

Otherwise, it could be a GPU issue, as laptops actually do Not preform the same on battery vs when plugged in. They preform much better plugged In. I would say it is one of two things 1. Most likely a faulty adapter. And 2. A failing GPU both are fairly common but it would seem that the adapter is the most probable issue

Solution