Question Laptop slow for no apparent reason

May 15, 2021
Hi all!

I've been using this laptop for around a year and a half now and it has been doing great for most of its lifespan. However, for some odd reason, once in a while the entire PC seems to slow down. This usually manifests in the form of a noticeable drop in frames in games (recently tested, it went from about 180FPS average on Valorant to 100FPS). This happens with no changes to the PC at all (no new downloads, no changes to settings, etc.) which makes it frustrating as I don't know what the issue could be. The issue simply sporadically appears and doesn't go away with a restart or anything. The only way I've found to restore the performance is by almost fully resetting the computer (remove applications, full reset on Windows 10) but this is only a temporary fix, as the PC will begin to slow down again only months after the reset.

At first, I thought it might've been a thermal or power throttle issue, so I did a quick undervolt of both CPU and GPU in order to remedy this. It did actually help my overall performance, but I was still noticing declines despite temperatures never reaching above 85C on either processing unit (which I know sounds like a lot, but this is not within throttle range for either unit). I'm not the techiest person in the world though, so there could still be things happening behind the scenes that I'm unaware of. If anyone has an idea of what it could be, I would greatly appreciate your knowledge or advice!

The model is as follows:

Asus ROG Strix Gaming Laptop - GL504GV-DS74
Windows 10
15.6" FHD 144Hz
Intel Core i7-8750H
NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
512GB SSD
16GB RAM (single stick)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
derbu Laptop Tech Support 0
Epic Creeper Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 5