Laptop Speakers blowing

Wagstar

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
I have used 4 different sets of laptop speakers out of my Yamaha QY100 (Music Creating device) The speaker jack goes into the "Phones/Line Out" socket on the qy100 they work for about a minute then the green light goes out on the speakers and they stop working, no pop,bang or crackle, they just stop. The speakers have all been 5watts a side 10 watts total. I have it rigged through a Solar Panel system via a regulator; leisure battery, 1000w Pure Sine Wave inverter and a Surge Protect extension lead. Anyone know what i can do to stop this happening again please (apart from not buying anymore speakers!) Thank you.

Solution
Hi
The speakers should be ok with a line level output from the Yamaha.
It could be that there is a fault with the Yamaha,if you can get hold of a cheap multimeter then you should measure the voltage at the line output,could be there is a high voltage that is blowing the speakers amp or power supply.

Cristi72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello,

What kind of laptop speakers have you used? Maybe they cannot handle the output signal from synth or the distortion level is abnormally high (some GAIN control to the max).

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
The speakers should be ok with a line level output from the Yamaha.
It could be that there is a fault with the Yamaha,if you can get hold of a cheap multimeter then you should measure the voltage at the line output,could be there is a high voltage that is blowing the speakers amp or power supply.

Solution

Wagstar

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
Hi, Thank you to you both for replying, to add a twist to this, out of desperation I plugged in some 1 watt speakers that are powered purely from the "Phones/Line Out" and they work! I used them for about 2hrs this morning (Couldn't hear much from them though) but they worked! All the other laptop speakers needed a mains plug to power them. Does this now mean it could be a mains power issue, as it's coming through a solar power, inverter system? Thanks again, any advice is very much appreciated.

makkem

Distinguished
If the new speakers are not powered then they would be capable of taking a higher voltage than powered speakers.
I wouldn't of thought it was a mains power issue but it could be that the inverter is outputting a higher than normal voltage even though it is unlikely,another reason to get a multimeter to see.