Laptop speakers make static noise; sounds popping even with headphones on

Nov 19, 2018
Hello, I'm having trouble with my laptop, a 2015 Acer Aspire V3-572 with an i5-5200 CPU and 840M GPU (with Optimus).

I opened up my laptop to swap the hard drive. Since then, the speakers make a low satic noise whenever something's playing, even when the source or the system volume is muted (!). If the sound is paused (even if it was muted to begin with) or if the program is closed, the static noise stops after a few seconds. Sound itself works fine unless I'm listening to something on high volume, in which case the sound starts popping ―it goes off and on constantly if the sound itself is high. If I lower the volume, it sounds fine, although depending on how high the source is I might end up on 50% volume to be able to listen without issues. When I plug in the headphones, the static sound stops, but the popping happens just the same when volume is high.

It is of note that I'm currently running Linux (Fedora, also happened with Ubuntu), but this problem is actually worse on Windows. I tried updating, downloading drivers from Acer, from the chip-maker, etc. I'm thinking this might be a problem with the actual hardware. It's also remarkable that I tried a bluetooth speaker, and it sounded absolutely fine even on high volume.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 12
M Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 4