Laptop started emitting high pitched whine/ring sound?

Bawnawgwa

Estimable
Jan 4, 2015
I have a new MSI ge72 apache pro 17.3" laptop. It was great up until last Thursday. It did a "massive" windows update (it seriously took about an hour and a half for it to apply the update.

After that, my sound got extremely crackly and was breaking (I could fix this by disabling realtek driver, then doing driver update and selecting just the basic high definition audio driver and not the realtek one). But if only that were the only problem.... It now also emits this very high pitched whine/ring sound. It did not do this before the update. Luckily it is a bit faint, so if I have other sound going I will not hear it, but if not I can hear a quiet ringing in my ears.

I haven't found anything that helps me online. It stops while I scroll up and down a web page or changes occur on the laptop screen. I am wondering if it is a display issue...

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on possibly fixing this. This is seriously weeks old and is very, very disappointing to have occur if I have to send this back in....

Solution
I'm experience the same thing. MSI GT62 Dominator Pro. Installed huge Windows update a couple nights back, and now my laptop makes a high pitched whine. It stops when a webpage loads or I scroll or even when I just move the cursor around. It's driving me crazy. If anyone has a solution, please help.

Incidentally, I had the same crackling sound issue. Resorting to the basic HD driver eliminated the crackling, but also eliminated much of my speakers' range. I fixed the issue and was able to use the Realtek drivers when I updated my Nahimic install. If you download the audio driver on this page, the Nahimic update is bundled with it: https://us.msi.com/Laptop/support/GT62VR-Dominator-Pro-6th-Gen-GTX-1070.html#down-driver&Win10 64

chandlechanger

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
I'm experience the same thing. MSI GT62 Dominator Pro. Installed huge Windows update a couple nights back, and now my laptop makes a high pitched whine. It stops when a webpage loads or I scroll or even when I just move the cursor around. It's driving me crazy. If anyone has a solution, please help.

Incidentally, I had the same crackling sound issue. Resorting to the basic HD driver eliminated the crackling, but also eliminated much of my speakers' range. I fixed the issue and was able to use the Realtek drivers when I updated my Nahimic install. If you download the audio driver on this page, the Nahimic update is bundled with it: https://us.msi.com/Laptop/support/GT62VR-Dominator-Pro-6th-Gen-GTX-1070.html#down-driver&Win10 64

Solution