Laptop still runs sluggish even after clean installation of Win7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Hello, I've been having some problems with my laptop: it was running too slow for it's hardware specs, Win7 starting with difficulties(after signing in on my Win7 user it would lead to a black screen and after a phew seconds it would load my Desktop), FPS drops in video games that were quite old( 2007- 2012); so I decided to install a fresh new copy of Win7, format all my drives and start fresh. Prior to this, I had it opened and cleaned of dust.
Currently my laptop still runs sluggish, not as bad as before dusting and a clean install, but it freezes from time to time, Chrome stops working, games freeze even if they shouldn't challenge my laptop, and other performance difficulties. I scanned for virus and malware with Avast Free Edition and Malwarebytes. It stands of a coolerpad(1 central vent) and I use Ccleaner to clean my registry and prevent programs from starting with my Windows unless they really need to.
What can I do to get my laptop running properly again?

Laptop Specifications(Asus Aspire V3-571G):
CPU: 2.2GHz Intel Core i7-3632QM Processor
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 730M 4GB VRAM & Intel HD Graphics 4000
RAM: 8GB
Hard Drive: SATA Hard Drive

Solution
Pass it on to everybody you know with this problem. I just found the answer last night. Go into your browser(s) and DISABLE JAVA. That will change everything and Windows 7 speedup will amaze you. There will be no more hang-ups or slowdowns when your computer is idle and you start up again. It is amazing! I couldn't believe the difference.

NOTE: JAVA is different than Javascript. The average person, does not need JAVA on his/her hard drives at all. Try it, then thank me.

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
command prompt isnt 100% correct. For me it was giving a green light on my hdd for nearly a year when my computer ran really bad and was failing to run smoothly games that it used to run perfectly. HD Sentinel gave me a "health status 23%" so i inserted new hdd just to test if its correct... there was no more lags. My point is - dont trust only 1 source, test with several progs to see which result will be given by most of them

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Well I purchased a copy of HD Sentinel. And apparently my HDD health is critical: 9%; with a estimated lifetime of 11 days.
I suppose this mean that I should seek to replace the HDD as soon as possible?
And if so, could you recommend me some cheap->mid-range HDDs,SSHDs,SSDs?

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
the lifetime is not real but yes - look for a replacement as soon as possible and backup your files
hitachi have some cheap hdd`s
ssd and cheap doesnt get along
sshd is good middle but you want either fast hdd (cheap) or good quality ssd (you`ll pay atleast 2x more than getting hdd)
I personally recommend Seagate. We use them on many computers in our company and so far they are really good

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015
I was looking at this one: http://www.pcgarage.ro/hdd-notebook/seagate/laptop-thin-hdd-500gb-7200rpm-32mb-sata-iii/. Same capacity better rpms, and the price is not that bad(it's in the romanian currency, in USD: 61$). Is it compatible with my laptop?