Laptop suddenly unresponsive on login

jgranley

Prominent
May 17, 2017
My computer has all the sudden become unusable. It starts up fine, but after logging in it becomes unresponsive immediately, with a the spinning loading wheel. No keyboard shortcuts work at all, the only thing that works is holding the power button until it turns off.

I booted it in safe mode and the computer was somewhat useable then. There would be random times where nothing would work for 5-10 minutes, then suddenly everything would run fine just marginally slower. I ran sfc /scan now and it always stops at 67%. I also ran a dism scan and nothing. Various error messages pop up, saying the application Microsoft Windows has stopped responding and giving me the option to end the task, or explorer.exe: unknown hard error.

I tried doing a system restore from safe mode and the boot menu, and it fails saying system restore failed to extract the file C:/Windows/assembly/nativeImages/v4.030319-64/Microsoft.P047767ce#/f9d2d from the restore point. (An unspecified error occurred during system restore 0x80070017)

My laptop was working fine an hour before this, but right before I shut it off parts of the screen started going black for a couple seconds then went back to normal. When I came back to my computer an hour later this happened. Has anyone had anything similar happen? Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

hang-the-9

Titan
Sounds like a failing hard drive. I would boot off a Linux boot disk and backup your files to an external drive while the system is still running this much then replace the drive and install a clean Windows setup on that.

hang-the-9

Titan
Sounds like a failing hard drive. I would boot off a Linux boot disk and backup your files to an external drive while the system is still running this much then replace the drive and install a clean Windows setup on that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
maverick251722 Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 4
Karan Malik Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 3
mharte88 Laptop Tech Support 3
1 Laptop Tech Support 0
Capplepar Laptop Tech Support 3
Nyrean Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 2
All_Might Laptop Tech Support 1
WannaKnowWhy Laptop Tech Support 2