Solved! Laptop suggestions for university

May 21, 2020
What are my best options? I looked at some reviews and I’m considering MacBook pro 2020, surface laptop 3 and Dell XPS.(Some suggested me HP Envy 13(https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-laptop-13z-ay000-8lz58av-1) and Spectre too so I'm also considering them). I already have a windows laptop that I use for gaming, so I'm not buying a new computer for gaming and I do not care if it runs games.
I probably will be working a lot with python, database, sql maybe other programming. But I don’t think I’ll be doing any hardcore programming. I keep hearing buy MBP for programming but why is it better? I do quite a lot of work with office applications like word, excel, visio. My budget is around 1.3k. Which should I choose? All laptops I'm considering right now are the newest released laptops. Thanks for any suggestions.

Solution
What are my best options? I looked at some reviews and I’m considering MacBook pro 2020, surface laptop 3 and Dell XPS.(Some suggested me HP Envy 13(https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-laptop-13z-ay000-8lz58av-1) and Spectre too so I'm also considering them). I already have a windows laptop that I use for gaming, so I'm not buying a new computer for gaming and I do not care if it runs games.
I probably will be working a lot with python, database, sql maybe other programming. But I don’t think I’ll be doing any hardcore programming. I keep hearing buy MBP for programming but why is it better? I do quite a lot of work with office applications like word, excel, visio. My budget is around 1.3k. Which should I choose? All...
I probably will be working a lot with python, database, sql maybe other programming. But I don’t think I’ll be doing any hardcore programming. I keep hearing buy MBP for programming but why is it better? I do quite a lot of work with office applications like word, excel, visio. My budget is around 1.3k. Which should I choose? All laptops I'm considering right now are the newest released laptops. Thanks for any suggestions.

Why are you getting another laptop in the first place instead of just using what you have now?

Those are all fancier high end systems, quite a bit over what you need unless you want to pay extra for design and sleek shape. "Programming" for the most part is typing in text files, so really any system will be fine.

If you want to use Apple vs Windows depends on what you like using and the programs you will be using, they all should have system requirements listed. XPS is probably the better model out there for designer laptops with good parts and build quality if you are going to be spending money for that. Lenovo T models are also very solid, although not as fancy.

Last edited:
Solution