Laptop to TV image is distorted and creates static noise

amar12345

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016
I recently purchased a new HP laptop. The laptop is hooked up to the TV (maybe 5 yr old Samsung) using HDMI cables. As soon as both are switched on, the image on the TV screen is all messed up - the laptop background appears on the TV screen, but is all distorted with a light blue/green shade that overshadows the entire background. The TV also emits a loud static noise. After 5-10 seconds, the TV shuts off on its own and turns back on; then the picture and sound work.

I’ve tried the different HDMI inputs to the TV and both older generation and newer generation HDMI cables – problem still exists. My “old” Sony VAIO laptop and PS3 did not have this issue on this TV; I don’t own either after getting this laptop.

The problem occurs ~50% of the time. Once it is working, the TV does not have any issues, until turned off and on again.

I can't tell if this is a laptop or TV issue. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi,

Please do try installing the latest graphics card driver by doing a clean install.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- In Programs and Features uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Download and install the latest graphics driver from the manufacturers site. (NVIDIA or AMD).
- Once installed reboot your laptop for all changes to take effect and do test it after.

amar12345

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016

Hi Laptop_Nerd - i tried as you suggested. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.