Laptop to TV with HDMI problem...

skulkin

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hi

My friend lives in Italy. I take my laptop and play movies, kodi etc on his TV via hdmi.

He'd like to connect as Italian TV can be shocking, particularly if you don't speak Italian but his laptop won't do the same. His laptop screen goes off and nothing shows on his TV. Any ideas?

Is the only possible reason the monitor settings from desktop or are there other things that it might be?

Many thanks,

skulkin

Solution
Might be as simple as selecting the correct input source on the TV using the TV's on-screen menu.

That's what I have to do on my TV when I plug any HDMI device in to it.
SCART input causes TV to switch source automatically, but not when it's an HDMI input.

Mind you, my laptop screen stays on when plugged in to TV (as it should do), so something wrong with your friend's setup if his screen goes off. I can't think what that could be.
Might be as simple as selecting the correct input source on the TV using the TV's on-screen menu.

That's what I have to do on my TV when I plug any HDMI device in to it.
SCART input causes TV to switch source automatically, but not when it's an HDMI input.

Mind you, my laptop screen stays on when plugged in to TV (as it should do), so something wrong with your friend's setup if his screen goes off. I can't think what that could be.

Solution