Laptop turns on...but doesn't...

lysjocksan

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
My laptop is a lenovo yoga 2 pro. I looked over at my laptop and saw tbat it was off, so I didn't see how it turned off. I thought maybe I'd forgotten to plug it in and it ran out of battery, but it was PLUGGED IN. I unplugged it, took the battery out, held the power button down for a while, plugged it back in, and tried turning it back on. No luck. Tried doing the same with the battery back in. No luck. I took the battery back out, and while it was out and I was inspecting wires and such, the laptop turned on and started booting up...and then turned back off and wouldn't turn back on, though the orange light (it glows orange when there's low battery and white normally) next to the power button always stays on as long as it's plugged in. I gave up and left it alone for a while and then tried another reset. Without the battery in nothing happens but the orange light stays on. With the battery in, the laptop powers up, as in the keyboard backlight comes on and the right fan turns on, but nothing else happens. The screen doesn't turn on, and the main power light ON the power button does NOT light up. I haven't seen that light come on at all since the laptop died. I don't have another screen to test with. Only other screen is the phone I'm typing on now. Any suggestions?

3qzU0+

Solution
Ok you posted it correctly to your original one as I can now see it. So based on that picture, I thinking it is posting and is now obviously try to boot into an OS (operating system). So first lets confirm the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is recognizing the SSD (Solid State Drive). So go into your bios and see if it is recognized. If it isn't then let me know but I will assume it is. So now I am going to assume your running windows so if you have a repair disk, I would pop that repair disk in there and see if it can fix the problem. Also, try getting to safe mode but I don't think you can but try. You can also make sure that in your bios, your ssd is first boot and also try setting bios to default. You can try a swap from "UEFI" to...

Nerdy Nerd

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Well by what your describing, it looks like it might be ram, cmos battery, motherboard, might be power jack but I doubt it based on what you said. I would check those things before moving on.

lysjocksan

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
something new has happened - now the screen turns on, the Lenovo logo shows up and then a blue box that says the default boot device is missing or the boot failed. It goes back and forth between the logo and the error.

Nerdy Nerd

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
That blue box is called a blue screen of death (BSOD). However, this is good news because it makes diagnosing the problem easy. Now most bsod's come with a stop code that looks something like this: 0x00000001. This is just one example of a code, so does yours have one? Based on what you describe with the boot device is missing, I assume its talking about hard drive. So make sure the hard drive is connected and if it is, then try taking the hard drive out and see if you can get to a black screen that says something like no operating system found. Then put the hard drive back in and see if you get the blue screen again, if you do, then my bet is that the hard drive is bad.

lysjocksan

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
I don't see any code. I took the ssd out and nothing's changed. Same exact blue error box. Does this mean it's the motherboard? I don't see anything physically off with the ram, but I couldn't do much about that if there were anyway because it's soldered on.

Nerdy Nerd

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
The ram is soldered on? are you sure your looking at ram? Anyways, post a picture of the blue screen so I can see it. Lets not jump to conclusions yet that its the motherboard but its a possibility.

lysjocksan

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
Yup I'm sure. It's SK Hynix DDR3 SDRAM. I wondered about upgrading shortly after I got the laptop, but when I opened it up saw no ram sticks and confirmed online that I was indeed looking at ram that was soldered onto the system board preventing everyone else with yoga 2 pros interested in upgrading from doing so easily as well. I took a picture of the screen but not sure how to post it here yet. I'll try adding it to the original post.

Nerdy Nerd

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Ok you posted it correctly to your original one as I can now see it. So based on that picture, I thinking it is posting and is now obviously try to boot into an OS (operating system). So first lets confirm the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is recognizing the SSD (Solid State Drive). So go into your bios and see if it is recognized. If it isn't then let me know but I will assume it is. So now I am going to assume your running windows so if you have a repair disk, I would pop that repair disk in there and see if it can fix the problem. Also, try getting to safe mode but I don't think you can but try. You can also make sure that in your bios, your ssd is first boot and also try setting bios to default. You can try a swap from "UEFI" to "Legacy Support." Let me know your findings after these methods.

Solution