Laptop under $500, primary for MS Office (form used)

Mar 14, 2019
1. What is your budget?

Under $500 is my goal. I will need to purchased MS Office, so I would go lower if I could.

I'm not opposed to refurbished to either:
  1. make the budget goal, or
  2. have a larger screen
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6". My last laptop, an HP4510 from 2007 had that size screen and it worked well for me. If I could, however, I'd go bigger. I once had a 19" WidowPC and loved it. So, if I could make a 17" screen happen with a refurbished model, I would probably do that, and might even go outside my budget.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

I'm generally only going to be using this for MS Office and internet browsing, which would probably include YouTube. 1920 x 1080 would be a bonus, but not absolutely necessary, unless someone can make a good argument for it.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portability is not my main concern.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Rarely am I going to be using this and not be plugged in. I'd probably say 4 hours tops.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I don't play games at all.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Microsoft Office and then mostly only Word and Excel. Down the road, I'll probably be using it for webdesign.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I'm not sure how to answer this. I do not plan on using this for photo, video, or music storage, so I'm inclined to lean towards a 128GB SSD unless someone can make a good argument for something bigger. I might consider a 240GB SSD as a hedge against future storage needs, but as of right now, I can't imagine I'd use it.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Newegg.com
Amazon.com
BestBuy.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3+yrs? Until it recently died, I made my 2007 work up until this year, though I did have a desktop that I built for gaming.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I can't see myself using this.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I've been out of the laptop world for quite sometime, so I'm not really familiar with any of them, but I'd say based on what I've looked at on the sites mentioned above, I'm leaning towards:

HP
Lenovo
Acer

13. What country do you live in?

United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

These are the ones I'm looking at right now as a place to start:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i3-8130U-Memory-E5-576-392H/dp/B079TGL2BZ?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_13896615011_0&pf_rd_p=ad397a11-07f5-50a3-8d2e-6840296bf352&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=13896615011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=5WZPR95JPK4P83CHVN0K&pf_rd_r=5WZPR95JPK4P83CHVN0K&pf_rd_p=ad397a11-07f5-50a3-8d2e-6840296bf352

https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-Lenovo-ideaPad-Energy-efficient-Bluetooth/dp/B07KMH5VXZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3QRO4VUKHSCXW&keywords=lenovo+ideapad+130&qid=1552533045&s=gateway&sprefix=Lenovo+IdeaPad+130,software,189&sr=8-5

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Laptop General Discussion 0
amitk97 Laptop General Discussion 0
J Laptop General Discussion 0
S Laptop General Discussion 0
N Laptop General Discussion 0
ngockett Laptop General Discussion 1
JV_Advisor Laptop General Discussion 2
evilhny Laptop General Discussion 1
allyyoung13 Laptop General Discussion 1
yousefff Laptop General Discussion 0
Asiwl Laptop General Discussion 1