Laptop Using Dedicated Graphics Card or Integrated? AMD

Shig13

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
Hi there,
I have a laptop that apparently has a dedicated AMD graphics card but I'm not convinced it's being used. How do I check this? I have seen info about checking and setting for Nvidia but having trouble finding info related to AMD dedicated graphics using the Radeon settings.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Solution
The tech is called Enduro , whereas Nvidias is called Optimus. Neither tech is worth a milliliter of monkey spit.

Complaints here about crashing while switching to 3D mode using either tech is common.

If you want to see if your AMD GPU is automatically switching on when a 3D game is called and you can't tell by the 3FPS you'd get from the integrated Intel GPU, then you can use a tool like GPUz to see what the current work load is like for both GPUS at any given moment
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/gpu-z/

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
The tech is called Enduro , whereas Nvidias is called Optimus. Neither tech is worth a milliliter of monkey spit.

Complaints here about crashing while switching to 3D mode using either tech is common.

If you want to see if your AMD GPU is automatically switching on when a 3D game is called and you can't tell by the 3FPS you'd get from the integrated Intel GPU, then you can use a tool like GPUz to see what the current work load is like for both GPUS at any given moment
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/gpu-z/

Solution

Shig13

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

Brilliant, looks like that's given me lots of info! It also looks like my integrated GPU is doing all the work. Is there a way of switching the default GPU to my dedicated GPU instead? Or is it something that only works when playing a game or something? The way laptops work is completely foreign to me!

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
It would normally only be called to switch to the discrete chip when a 3d load is sensed, for normal every day 2d stuff it would just use the intel integrated.

Radeon Settings > Preferences > Additional Settings > CCC Slim > Power > Switchable Graphics Application Settings. From this menu you can manually add applications to High Performance mode so they will use the Radeon GPU.

You can't disable the onboard Intel chip as the actual screen is connected only to that chip and all display output moves through it.

I really don't like laptops for gaming, but it is what it is.