Laptop VGA burned out? Please help me to confirm!

Sep 26, 2014
Hello everyone, I'm writing you because I would like to hear other opinions about the problem I'm having with my laptop.
This morning I closed and left my laptop on top of the bed and when I came back form school I realized that the fan was still working and the laptop really hot. I open the lid and I realized that everything in the screen looked like a tv with interference, very similar to this picture:
Reception_Example6.jpg

I believe that since the computer didn't shut down properly this morning over heated and the video card burned out.
I tried opening the laptop completely to check if there is any sign of burning somewhere on the motherboard, but no black stains were visible. Just lots of dirt. Right now the screen looks like it flashes very quickly like if the back-light would be blinking quickly, but not showing any video at all. Sound and everything else is working:

Click here to see how my screen looks in this video (tinypic.com)

So my question right now is, how to make sure if the video card burned out or it was the LCD screen itself? I'm willing to buy a new motherboard if necessary, but I need to be certain about the problem.
In my opinion, I would say is the video card. However, since the screen looks like flashing quickly, it makes me doubt about it!

What do you think?
Thanks in advance

UPDATE: I can turn up and down brightness by pressing the key shortcut while screen flashes!

Solution
first up try to hook it up on an external monitor and see if the image displayed is ok. if it is..then your lcd is faulty if you get the same display as on the lcd the video card toasted.

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
first up try to hook it up on an external monitor and see if the image displayed is ok. if it is..then your lcd is faulty if you get the same display as on the lcd the video card toasted.

Solution
Sep 26, 2014

Hi! Yes I tried connecting an external monitor and no video signal was received! I believe this would confirm that the video card failed! :) thank you so much!

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

goto a laptop tech to have your GPU replace...good one's know how to replace it.

Sep 26, 2014
Hi, the laptop finally had the video card burned.

I replaced mother board as the HDMI port, audio jack, and some USB weren't working properly and everything came back to normal.
I believe replacing video card would have been more expensive than a new MB since I only paid $48 for it.

Thank you so much for your help, qazzi!
Claudio.