laptop vs desktop

peddleandwine

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
Trying to decide between a laptop or desktop computer. My understanding is that there is more longevity with a desktop and that for the money you get more with a desktop. Looking at computers with I 5 processor, 8GB ram, and 1TB HDD. (probably more that what I need). and also need a moniter. I see laptops with these features for less money than for a desktop and moniter. To add to my confusion, I was looking at the Apple mini desktop ($549 plus the cost of a moniter and keyboard = approx. $900) and the all in one ( $1000 -moniter is 20.8 ") When I look at having to buy a moniter if I go with a desktop and microsoft office and antivirus programs, for less than $300 I could get an Apple with all the benefits of having an Apple that I hear about. I don't need the portability of a laptop. Just looking at making a wise purchase.Thanks for your help

Solution
Libre/Open Office works just dandy, and will import/export MS Office files.

Laptops are great. 5400 rpm laptop HDDs suck and should be R&R'd immediately upon purchase with an SSD.

If you do not need an i5, don't buy one. Get an i3 or an AMD CPU/APU. Put the extra cash toward an SSD.

If you don't want to build it yourself, pay a local computer shop to build it for you with custom parts (either one of you may purchase). You will be much better in the long run.

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Libre/Open Office works just dandy, and will import/export MS Office files.

Laptops are great. 5400 rpm laptop HDDs suck and should be R&R'd immediately upon purchase with an SSD.

If you do not need an i5, don't buy one. Get an i3 or an AMD CPU/APU. Put the extra cash toward an SSD.

If you don't want to build it yourself, pay a local computer shop to build it for you with custom parts (either one of you may purchase). You will be much better in the long run.

Solution