Laptop white screens then switches off when bumped of moved.

cthleung

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I have a 13 inch Samsung series 5 ultra that I have been using for approximately 10 months. Yesterday, when I was trying to move my computer several centimetres to clear my desk, it suddenly white screened and switched off. (It was plugged in at the time.) This has never happened before. I tried to switch it back on but the power LED came on for a few seconds and switched off again. I had to press the power button several times to get the computer to boot into Windows, but it white screened and switched off when again I simply bumped it. I have been able to consistently replicate this issue many times since it first happened.

I am not sure what is causing this issue, nor how to fix it. The only software change I have done recently is the installation of a new Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver on the 3rd of September, and I have not made any changes to the hardware. I believe this is not an issue with the power supply nor the battery because I have been able to replicate this issue with the laptop whilst not plugged in as well. Again, this is very strange because I have never had any similar issues with the laptop until yesterday.

I have tried restoring my system several times to no avail, making it highly probable that this is a hardware issue.

My laptop specs are:
Intel i5 3317U 1.7 GHz
8GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Hitachi 500GB HDD + 24GB SanDisk i100 SSD
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

cthleung

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Wasn't really helpful and the laptop died a few days after this, but thanks anyway.