Laptop will not connect to TV via HDMI anymore. Only Static on Screen. Windows 8 Update Problem?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpt2

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
I have a Lenovo z580 Laptop (can give detailed spec if needed) and an LG HD TV. Laptop is running Windows 8

I have had the laptop connected to the TV via HDMI for a few months now. Not all the time but would connect to watch Netflix, play games etc.

Last night I tried to set up my girlfriends laptop so that it could also connect to the TV via HDMI. I switched the output to duel screen in the control panel and the TV went from "No Signal" to static. I tried to work out why this was happening but couldn't.

I connected my laptop to the TV to check it would still connect as usual but found that the same thing was happening. The laptop was connected but I was only getting static.

Tested the cable on my ps3 and it was working fine as was the HDMI port on the TV. Tried the laptop in a different HDMI port on the TV and had the same problem of just static on the screen.

Unfortunately I don't have another TV to test the laptop on.

Have tried to adjust the frequency, which was set at 59Hz, to 60Hz but it didn't make a difference. Tried rebooting laptop. Connecting first then turning the laptop on.

Very confused by this because it has been working fine for months then suddenly it stopped. Possibly it could be due to a Windows update? The last time I had the laptop connected and working well was about 2 weeks ago. During this time my laptop installed a Windows update. I think this is the only thing that has changed. Is anyone else having similar problems after a windows 8 update in the last few weeks?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hurdie G

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
Hi

I have Lenovo laptop with Samsung tv connected to HDMI port. Experienced the same problem ('check cable' message) after Windows update today.
Many thanks to tips on this page - I went through following steps:
>Device Manager >Display Adaptors >Intel HDMI Graphics
Selected [Rollback driver]
Then went back in and ran [Update driver] and selected Automatically detect driver software and allowed it to update

This worked for me, hope it helps others.

Rosie_7

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017

Rosie_7

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
I connected my pc to t.v. via HDMI cable. But also added device on pc in Control Panel. Tried to watch Netflix as well. But after 15 - 20 minutes Netflix went out and kept getting error message, "Your device may not be connected to the internet." Try again or contact your provider. This happened several times. Dish Tech Support was no help. They advised me to call Netflix. Now today i am going to try using a VGA Cable instead and see what happens. Sometimes people say you can do certain things doing this or that. But remember we are probably using different devices. And how long ago did this work for them? Is the information up to date? All we do is try and hope for the best. Good luck. If i were you, you can order a VGA CABLE from Amazon, they are way cheaper. But make sure your laptop and t.v. and t.v. have those inputs to use them before you spend the money.

MrDripple

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

thank you so much it works on my asus n46vm win 8.1 64bit

Rosie_7

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
What i did was plug a VGA cable from t.v. to computer. Turn off cable box, you won't need. Then turn on t.v. Turn on computer, go to settings or maybe your t.v. has a setting that says " PC, select that and your computer should work now on your t.v. screen. Doesn't matter what computer you have, it should work with the VGA CABLES.

spotfrog

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

This display adapter solution worked for my Win10 Lenovo Thinkpad P70 w/ nvidia Quadro M4000M. The P70 occasionally just... stops feeding to HDMI, and restarting the PC does not help. I still don't know what causes the problem, but thank you for your response.

Dr4gonkiller96

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Nope nothing is working. I connect via HDMI and it doesnt show up just black screen. I remove it and says no signal. I reconnect and says No signal. I disabled the Intel Graphics Driver and enabled it, and still nothing. I can connect wirelessly but not via HDMI. I tried changing project to Second screen and it reverts back to Laptop Display only. Nothing works and no solution has worked. It worked a few months ago but not now. And its definitely a Laptop problem with the HDMI. I connected to a external Monitor and it worked though so i dont know what to do. I Hate Microsoft and Windows now because they always break things.

robert.vogelezang

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

jmjester2

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Kowo 39. THANK YOU! 2 years later and you're still helping people. Worked perfectly, other than re-installing the driver made it unusable again, so just gonna keep the old driver for now. I want to hug you right now hahaha.