Laptop with 32gb ram

gelmanjim

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
So, I know most experts would argue that you don't need a computer with 32gb ram, and in most cases this is certainly true. But let me try to convince you that I might need 32gb ram in my computer. In my research, as a graduate student, I work with very large spatial / GIS datasets, some of the processes can only be done efficiently memory. Even after processing raw data, the final datasets in my research are around 10gb large, so even if all the processing was done on servers I still need a lot of memory to analyze the dataset. Before starting my career as a graduate student, I worked in the private industry where I had access to servers + a work station (32gb of ram which I killed a lot of the times). I am looking to buy a new laptop, and here are the requirements I am looking for:

- laptop that can be upgraded to 32gb ram if necessary. It is fine if it initially only has 16gb of ram.
- multi-core processor (i7 preferably or amd equivalent) to take advantage of parallel processing
- dedicated graphic card preferred (can be a low budget version though). I don't do gaming.
- i have an ssd in my current laptop which I would like to put into the new laptop. So preferably, I want a computer where I can easily replace the hard-drive.
- no touchscreen. I hate those things and adds unnecessary cost.
- weight: the lighter the better which I know is a stretch.

In essence, I want a computer with lots of ram and a great processors, but no other bells and whistles which excludes most gaming laptops I presume.

Do you know of any machines?

Cheers,
Jim

Having 32GB of RAM is no longer in the realm of workstations anymore. Intelligent Memory have designed 16GB sticks of RAM that is compatible with any laptop that has a 5th generation Intel CPU. However, these RAM sticks are not exactly inexpensive... 16GB RAM stick with ECC sells for $365 while the non-ECC version sells for $325.

http://www.intelligentmemory.com/modules/ddr3/ddr3-so-dimm/

https://squareup.com/market/MemphisElectronicRetail

I like the workstation systems since they tend to have more RAM slots, although likely some gaming laptops may also. Having 4 RAM slots in a laptop opens up quite a bit of options, you can use something like existing two 2 gig sticks, then upgrade those instead of having to toss those sticks to upgrade RAM. The workstation systems also have higher end pro video cards and the best CPUs as a rule. I've worked with the older Lenovo W510 systems and they all have had the quad core version of the i7, the regular laptops use the dual core version.