Oct 28, 2011
Hello,

I'm looking for a laptop that have the following specs:

CPU: AMD E-450 or A8-3500M APU << required
Max RAM: at least 8GB (2 or 4 slots) << required
Battery: at least 8 cell (preferably 10+) << required
Screen Size: 14" to ~17" (preferably 15ish) << optional
HDD: preferably 2 capable with RAID 0,1 support << optional

If anyone knows of a model that fits the above, please let me know. I've found a HP Pavilion dv7-6165us but when I went to HP website looking for info on parts/accessories for the 2nd HDD hookup, the site is a freaking maze... :pt1cable:

TIA :D

twentytwenty

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
My main use is for development, word processing, excel, presentation. Rare occasion to do Photoshop and some CAD. But 'all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy' so I'm probably gonna watch some movies and play some games. I'm looking for longest battery use and realize there's a big performance difference between E-450 and A8-3500. So I'd rather prefer A8. If I can't get A8 along with the other specs, I'll have to settle for E-450. Thanks.

EDIT: I wish the manufacturers have implement a 'Power Search' similar to NewEgg. Makes my life a whole lot easier.. ;)

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
well, E-350 can definitely handle movies, hulu, netflix streaming- I use one in my HTPC. The E-350 is going to be strong enough for word processing, probably most of the development, excel, presentation,etc. photoshop will tax it but if for retouching photos and/or you're not working with giant RAW files, should be ok. games, well that could get difficult. I don't know of any E-350 laptops with discrete GPUs. but the Radeon 6310 is probably a stronger GPU than most other integrated GPUs. They also promise pretty good battery life.

The A series though promises more sheer performance and probably better availability with discrete GPUs.

twentytwenty

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I was thinking the same too that's why I really liked that HP dv7-6165us, supposed to give 10.5 hours of light applications use with 9-cell battery. But I couldn't find the part/accessory to hookup the 2nd HDD at HP's website. I've read about some problems with the automatically switching of GPU with dv6 and dv7 models but I don't know if the problem is only for Intel CPU + AMD GPU. With that problem, it seems that both HP and AMD are reluctant to fix the driver which gives my reluctance to buy that laptop.

twentytwenty

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Nice!! Thanks. The info kind of scared me at first:

Minimum Specs (before customization)

* AMD® Quad-Core A6 Accelerated Processor
* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
* 4GB memory
* 500GB hard drive
* Mobile Intel® HD Graphics << LOL??
* DVD SuperMulti drive

But then reading the Specs tab, I knew it was a typo of some kind.