laptop with bradband connectivity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mhc5058

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
I am buying a new laptop and can't seem to find one that I can connect with an old-fashioned modem. I do NOT use wireless --that is all I find. What do I look for in the specs.

THank you

Solution
The Acer Swift 1 doesn't have an ethernet port, only way of connecting is WiFi, at least not without having to buy a USB to Ethernet adapter which do exist and would work, just a little clunky.

mhc5058

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Almost all modern laptops are 'good' my wife's lenovo G500, was cheap, decent quality, sufficiently powerful for non gaming needs, and had ethernet, it just wasn't light or thin. And that's the problem, ethernet ports are, bluntly, fat. And that doesn't sit well with thin.

8G of Ram, 500GB of storage, or less if you have storage on your desktop, down to 200GB minimium, and an i3/pentium and you'll be fine, the form factor for use lying down is the biggest issue, if you are the size of my mother-in-law a 15.6 inch non thin laptop wouldn't work as she is tiny. For me i'd be comfortable up to 3-4 Kg of laptop, that choice is down to you.

mhc5058

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

mhc5058

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
13thmonkey RThanks -- you've benn a big help. I wnet with the Acer Swift 1 and purchased a $20 ethernet adapter. Hope that will work. It was cheap--$310-- Honestly, until now I didn't know and and not even thought about size and that thin/sli ia the reason for no etherent . I want to use it in bd and on the couch whne not at my deks with PC.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Mhc

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I know you said earlier that you did not want to use WIFI, but is there a reason for that? The laptop you purchased would be perfect for performing the tasks you described while connected via WIFI. With the good battery life the laptop has, you could carry it anywhere in your house without being concerned about being tethered by a cable (power or ethernet). My wife uses a small android tablet to download e-books, and watch YouTube videos, etc. while sitting on the couch. Perfect for tasks where you don't need a keyboard and mouse. I did have to install a $35 WIFI range extender to get better coverage in that part of the house because my main gateway is at the opposite end of the house.

But I can understand if you don't want to enable the WIFI in your gateway for security or other reasons.