Laptop Won't Boot, Blinking Lights

energy324

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
Hi, I have a laptop that won't boot. The caps lock blinks. I already looked it up on HP, and the blinking pattern means there is a cpu problem. I heard of a baking method that works. Instead of baking however, I just let my computer run til it got really hot. This made it work. However, it stopped working as soon as I turned it off. Is the only way to fix it to replace the cpu? How come it works when I make the computer really hot? Is it a glitch or an actual hardware issue?

Also, I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned out the vents about a month ago. It was working fine after I did this for about a month. However, could the cleaning have caused the problem I have now? I want to make sure because I would want to do this process again on my future laptops (the heat difference was tremendous), but I don't want to break them... So do you guys think I did something wrong in changing the thermal paste/cleaning vents that has caused the cpu problem I have now? Thanks!

Solution
Don't bake the CPU! The baking method of reflowing is intended for circuit board repairs.

Since heat is causing the laptop's functionality to vary, this might not be the CPU causing the problem. The problem may be tied to the mainboard. The only way to know for sure would be to replace one or the other and test for the problem, despite acquiring the parts and putting in the labor to replace a board being kind of a pain.
Don't bake the CPU! The baking method of reflowing is intended for circuit board repairs.

Since heat is causing the laptop's functionality to vary, this might not be the CPU causing the problem. The problem may be tied to the mainboard. The only way to know for sure would be to replace one or the other and test for the problem, despite acquiring the parts and putting in the labor to replace a board being kind of a pain.

Solution

energy324

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
I think I will just buy a new computer then haha... Do you think that changing the thermal paste/cleaning the fan incorrectly could have caused this problem? I would like to know for future reference if I should continue to do this procedure again or not. Thanks!

It's really unlikely, unless the CPU was removed (assuming it's a PGA socket CPU) and one or more of the pins was bent, or if you used compound that is conductive and it made contact with an electrical path. Otherwise, the only thing I can think that may have caused damage while you had it open is ESD damage, but that doesn't happen often and doesn't tend to cause the kind of behavior you described.

A new system would be a lot less of a hassle! You can always part yours out (sell the components individually) or sell the whole system as "not working/for parts only" online. That will help to subsidize the cost of a new system for you at least. :)