Laptop won't boot(LED turned on, no fans spinning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathrun

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
A few years ago I bought the Lenovo G550 laptop, and it finally collapsed after many years. The problem is that it won't boot at all. When I first opened it, the fan was spinning, but I had a black screen, and the laptop was unresponsive. I held the power button down for many seconds, however it did not shut off, so I removed it's battery to see what was wrong. And then once I tried turning it on...

Symptoms:
-Black screen
-Fan isn't spinning
-Power LED is turned on

I took the laptop appart, removing and cleaning the RAM/HDD, checking the fan and various other stuff, but no luck thus far. I checked on the internet about other threads, and I found a guy that said that his 2 year-old Sony Vaio had the same thing(but the fan was spinning). So he found out that his GPU was damaged and that's the reason why it wasn't turning on(unfortunatelly, I have no link for that thread anymore). It could be the same thing, but since I'm not that good into problem solving, I'd like to get some extra hands(or brains) on the the matter. Any infos help and I appreciate them.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If this will not work, do test the AC adapter if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up or not. do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
- Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will still not work, connect an external monitor and...
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If this will not work, do test the AC adapter if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up or not. do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
- Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will still not work, connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor that could mean that the problem is the built in display.
- But if there's still no display on the external monitor that means the problem lies in the motherboard.
- Well if it's your GPU chances are it's soldered to the motherboard so replacing the motherboard would be the solution.

Solution

Deathrun

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Thanks alot for your answer! Buuut unfortunatelly, I'm going to have to change my motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.