ozi2708

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Hi there,
I recently cleaned my laptop fan and applied thermal paste to my processor like I always do in every 6 months. After I plugged everything back in the place and pressed the power button, it did not boot up. The lights on the keyboard and some leds on the side lit, but I got black screen for 10 seconds then closes again. I believe it's an issue of CPU or motherboard. I actually hope it's CPU, cause I was thinking of an upgrade in CPU already.(currently i have a 4200m, i will buy a 4710mq for a decent price)
Thanks in advance.

Solution

Possible, but you would have felt a shock. I've worked on many systems, and I have to admit very rarely do I use anti-static protection, in 25 years of doing IT I have never killed...
You took it apart, it did not start after that. So when you put it back together something either got broken or is not plugged in properly. Go over the system again, check for anything not plugged in properly. No good way to sort out where the issue is exactly without testing known good parts in the system.

ozi2708

Commendable
May 23, 2016

I actually did that even though I only removed heatpipes and fan only, I did not remove the CPU itself. All connections look correct so far. I am wondering if my CPU can be damaged by static electric when I was applying the thermal paste.

Possible, but you would have felt a shock. I've worked on many systems, and I have to admit very rarely do I use anti-static protection, in 25 years of doing IT I have never killed a system through a static shock.

Solution