Solved! Laptop won't connect to internet in one room, although other laptops will

Jan 24, 2019
I wonder if someone may be able to provide some advice on a problem. I have a laptop that seems unable to connect to the internet on the top floor of our house. The issue is that work laptops and other devices can connect to the internet in this room, but our personal laptop can't. When downstairs (and closer to the router) the laptop works fine. So it can connect, just not in this area.

Before I go on wild chase of extensions, adapters and new routers/laptops. Is there any settings that I should be looking at to improve is connectivity range?

Thank you

Solution
if your wifi in the laptop has dual band, Ie 2.4 ghz and 5ghz you can use 2.4ghz which has a stronger signal. You can give them different names in windows. Also if you have antennas try moving them around to see if you can get stronger signal reception. The other choice is to move the router to a more central location in the house.

shknawe

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
if your wifi in the laptop has dual band, Ie 2.4 ghz and 5ghz you can use 2.4ghz which has a stronger signal. You can give them different names in windows. Also if you have antennas try moving them around to see if you can get stronger signal reception. The other choice is to move the router to a more central location in the house.

Solution