Laptop won't power up with AC adapter and won't charge battery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
1) the laptop doesn't power on without a battery
2) the light which would indicate that the laptop is plugged into the ac adapter is not on when the ac adapter is plugged in.
3) the battery charge light is also not on, which would indicate the battery is being charged.

The battery does not charge...
The AC adapter is fine, tested with other laptop.
The battery is also new and works fine

I took the laptop apart. Took out the DC Jack and tested it separately.

I used a crappy non digital volt meter. Set it to 50 DC V. Plugged the DC Jack into the AC adapter...

There are 2 red 2 black. Each red shows 8V exactly.

I plugged the dc jack into the motherboard with the AC adapter connected, with the motherboard out and proceeded to test the various contact points on the 4 pin connector with the dc jack plugged in. I tested contact points on both sides of the motherboard on the soldering points. Each time getting the 8V reading.

Thanks for the help

Solution
You have the pin 3 named DCIN, this pin is the Charger Supply Input, on this input you read 19v, the voltage from the adapter. After you have pin 19 named ACIN, it's the AC Adapter-Detect input with 1.5V, it's compared to a fixed voltage of 1.485V (typ). The two readings are good, but the comparator inside the chip gives a low signal to the ACOK who is the AC Detect Output. The pin 10 is the ACOK, it should be low when the AC adapter is present and enables the charger. But you have 3.8V on pin 10, also you have the pin 14 named PDSL, who at the presence of the adapter should give 8V above the voltage of the adapter, but you have 0V. You have some voltages from this chip who are not good to use the adapter for the main source of power...

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
This board is likely shot and when a high priority chip like this fails it usually takes others with it unless there is a bad joint you are not likely to get this running. So you are left with one other option and that is to hunt down another board. I rebuild and customize laptops so I learned what to fix and what to flat out avoid. When a board goes out it is usually not worth the money fixing or replacing but bad chips can be difficult to root out.

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
the board and laptop work fine on battery so it must be a very local issue. I don't believe I can start soldering on new parts of the motherboard but I'd like to know what exactly is blown.

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
if it's a tiny little one then it gave me no readings and I have no idea what you mean by "below 2v dc"

in any case, if I got the correct resistor, it gave me no readings no matter where I touched it.

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
1,2,3,4 19-20v
5,6,7,8 about 3v....the top pin (I'm assuming pin 5) on the right side if I'm looking at the Q6002 right side up doesn't have any power
the other 3 on the right side I'm assuming 6,7,8 are all about 3v

I can do it, but you if you never solder before I don't think so. You need to have the skill in soldering to do a good job. You must have a soldering iron and a hot air soldering iron to remove the chip. The most difficult component is the chip (MAX17435ETG) if it's the problem. And you need to find the component also.

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
So based on the troubleshooting we did, you can confirm that it's that one chip? Where would I find it on the board? Maybe I can find a guy locally to do it...do you think the job would be costly?

Can I test this chip via the volt meter to confirm it's dead?

The voltages you gave me are not conclusive to determine for sure that U6000 is defective. To be sure, give me the voltages for the :
D6004 diode = ?
D6005 diode = ?
R6012 resistor on both side = ? and = ?
C6023 capacitor = ?
C6032 capacitor on both side = ? and = ?
all those voltages referring to ground or black wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS