Question Laptop won't turn on if unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2021
Hello,
I posted this on reddit already but got no answer so here is my post:

(My laptop is an MSI GP63 8RE)

So recently I started having this weird issue where my laptop doesn't turn on if it is unplugged. I press the power button and nothing happens. Once I plug it in and turn it on, it goes through a weird cycle of turning on and off (the keyboard LEDs do, at least) then it boots up as usual. If I unplug the laptop while it's running, it works like normal, so the battery is fine. And sometimes, it does powers on when unplugged. What is causing this problem? How can I fix it?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021
Did you try a BIOS update? Reseat the connections? Sounds like a motherboard connector issue or the battery has issues.

No I have not tried this. But I'm wondering if this could be linked to Throttlestop, I'm using it to undervolt my laptop and lately it stopped starting with my laptop, I'll try installing the latest version. What's also weird is that this happens after it's been off for a while and if it has moved (I carry it in my backpack) I don't really want to open my laptop and risk breaking it, I really need it for college.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021
Hmm... I'm starting to wonder if it's just that while my laptop is closed and in my backpack, somehow the power button is being pressed by the screen, because when I start it, it says I can't login with my PIN due to too many tries orrepeated shutdowns... and it only happens after it's been in my backpack, but I still find it weird, could this be possible?

Hmm... I'm starting to wonder if it's just that while my laptop is closed and in my backpack, somehow the power button is being pressed by the screen, because when I start it, it says I can't login with my PIN due to too many tries orrepeated shutdowns... and it only happens after it's been in my backpack, but I still find it weird, could this be possible?

Is it in your backpack with other things like books? That is not very good for laptops, they tend to cause damage to the screen and even the motherboard from being flexed when something is pushing on it.
If it's already turned on when you take it out, then yes it may be trying to power on in the bag, but then it would also feel warmer to the touch when it's on.

Sep 29, 2021
Is it in your backpack with other things like books? That is not very good for laptops, they tend to cause damage to the screen and even the motherboard from being flexed when something is pushing on it.
If it's already turned on when you take it out, then yes it may be trying to power on in the bag, but then it would also feel warmer to the touch when it's on.

My backpack is made for laptops, it has a "pocket" for it, but I think that it could be pushed by my charger and other things. It isn't on when I take it out, I can't turn it on until I plug it in

Status
Not open for further replies.