Laptop won't turn on PLEASE HELP ME OUT

chuck87

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
Hi everyone
Please help me out, I don't no much about computers. My laptop won't turn on. I have a Toshiba satellite L455D-S5976 it's about 5-6 years old when I press the power button some system indicator lights turn on like the AC power, the ON/OFF, and the battery light. The fan runs for like about 2 seconds then stops and that's it, just a black screen. Could it be the laptop battery not providing enough power since its old laptop. Also the internal storage drive and memory card reader indicator lights don't turn on. What could be the problem?

Solution

dhamm0730

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
Take out the charger and battery. Hold down the power button for 60 sconds. Put the charger in without the battery and turn it on. If this doesn't work put on new thermal paste, I would get a professional to do it if you don't fell comfortable doing it yourself and it's cheap. If this doesn't work then the mobo is probably broke. I had the same problem with a desktop, don't know if it's the same though.

chuck87

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

Hey thanks for replying
I tried holding the power button thing and didn't work. I'm going to look into that thermal paste hope that works. Honestly I don't really care about the laptop since its already old and I'm planning on buying a new one but I'm worry cuz I had important files, documents etc, that I forgot to back up to my external hard drive.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Not a problem, you can pull out the drive and attach it with a USB dock after you get the new machine. Just dock it after you boot and always use safely eject to disconnect USB drives.

Solution