Laptop works from 5-20 mins then freezes and goes black

Flasher_Boy

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
So I've been having this pain of a problem for a week now and nothing I do seems to fix the problem.
So I power the laptop, and If I have good luck it turns on normally, then after about 5-20 mins it freezes then it goes black leaving me no choice but to turn it off.Then when I turn it back on nothing happens, the led shows that it is on, and I can hear the fan tge screen remains lit black.Sometimes I power it on and it gets into that state without doing anything, it is not the ram, as i replaced it and cleaned the heck out of it, not the hdd, as I replaced that as well, not the screen as it works short periods sometimes, and I tried hooking it to an external monitor, made sure the fn f Something key was pressed, nothing on the screen, even though when the laptop was in the 5-20 min working state the external moniter worked, not the software since it does the same in safe mode and even in the boot manager or BIOS.
Tried to remove the battery and ac charger snd pressed the power button for 1 min several times nothing.
I would really apreciate some help, because I seriously need it, please if there is anything more to specify Im here, sorry for the long post, and thank you for sticking through with me

Peace.

Solution

Seems like a video card issue, which in almost all laptops means replacing the motherboard. You may want to check to make sure it's not overheating though, check the vents and fans, make sure there is no dust or other things in the laptop.
If the external monitor also dies when the system locks up, it's very likely the motherboard or video card, maybe CPU but that is a lot less likely. Video card in 95% of laptops means replacing the motherboard.

You don't want to keep this cycle of crashing up, every time it has a hard shutdown you have a chance of the hard drive failing and losing your data. I'd do a backup of your data first if you have not done that already.

Depending on the model of system, it may be cheaper to just buy a used working model of the same one you have and swap your drive into it. A motherboard replacement can get pricy if you need to pay someone to do it.

Flasher_Boy

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
I have some extra information that might help you give me some extra insight on the situation, so I connected the laptop to an external moniter, everything went smoothly, and then all of a sudden, the laptop screen went black(backlight working) and the external moniter displayed vertical lines of black and white with a ratio of 2:1 respectively, do you have any idea what that might indicate?

Seems like a video card issue, which in almost all laptops means replacing the motherboard. You may want to check to make sure it's not overheating though, check the vents and fans, make sure there is no dust or other things in the laptop.

Solution