Laptop's Build Quality Is Getting Poor?

Asmar Sheikh

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
Hi there,

I've noticed that old laptops were better in term of build quality, compared to the ones right now.

I've recently bought Dell Insipiron 15 3000 - Its build quality is okay but not as laptops of old time.

What's reason behind this? Why the quality is reducing in majority of laptops?

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
I had an Inspiron 6000 (looks like a dinosaur these days) back in college in 2005. It survived many a drop, but I wouldn't say the build quality was great even then. My 2010 Dell Studio is built much better, and a Macbook or my HP Elitebook put that one to shame.

I tend to buy in the $1000-$2000 range (mostly Thinkpads) and haven't noticed any reduction in build quality. You get what you pay for.

The move to thinner laptops (ultrabooks) makes flex a bigger problem. It's possible to overcome this with good design (placing additional plastic or metal in the case in certain locations), but most cheaper laptops don't seem to care.

Asmar Sheikh

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
I could get much better quality for the same price long ago, that's what I meant to say. And I have even seen many high end expensive models, having good build quality but not as good as old machines.

What are you basing this on? What models are you talking about?
Keep in mind that "old" systems were generally built pretty large and using heavy parts, with slow CPUs and video card that did not generate much heat.

If you are looking for a solid system, Lenovo ThinkPad is probably the best chassis you can get outside of the tough laptops that start at about $2,000.