Laptops External Graphics Card ?!?

makuc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
So, hyea ... I hope anyone will read this and will help me out ... So. I have been googling around a bit and I came out with external graphic card. A long time ago, I read that you can connect desktop graphic card to improve your laptop graphic, even for the build in monitors, but today I was not able to. The only thing I found is:
http://www.villageinstruments.com/ [...] age=ViDock

Do you think there is any way to improve laptops overall graphic even for build in monitors? Or is this (external monitor too) the only solution?

Any advice is welcome.

k1114

Distinguished
An external monitor would be better as putting the signal back could be troublesome as the connections is already a huge bottleneck. Plus extra decoding, encoding will increase the latency and decrease the performance. There is quite a big performance decrease as the connection used has nowhere near enough bandwidth for gaming. Though they did say they are working on a thunderbolt vidock which will at least be a step up from the expresscard.

A normal desktop graphics card goes in the pcie 2.0 x16 which is 64Gb/s, expresscard is 2.5Gb/s, thunderbolt is 10Gb/s. That's gigabits per second and while most graphic cards don't fully saturate pcie, it will with these other connections. Not to mention the price of a vidock is way too much, you'd be better off buying a desktop.