Laptops made in the USA? Someone in my familey just want's Laptops made in the U.S.

Solution
"Made in the USA" is basically a misnomer because the phrase can be interpreted in a few ways.

The absolute strictest interpretation is that all parts originates from the United States. This is also an impossibility since most electronic components from something as simple as a capacitor to the most complex of components like the CPU and GPU are manufactured outside of the United States.

As more looser interpretation is "Assembled in the USA". Components originates from all over the world (which is in fact how the supply chain actually works), but the laptop themselves are assembled within the United States. This is similar to the Toyota cars assembled here in the US. The major components are shipped from Japan or from other suppliers...

Leadbelly78

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

I already mentioned that to her.
I might ask her to get into gaming. She might enjoy it,well after a while.

Impossible, at best you can get a US assembled laptop from foreign parts, for a gaming system at a premium price. Not much of low end anything is made in the US anymore.

Some of these may have been made in the US http://oldcomputers.net/laptops.html ;)

Leadbelly78

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

That's what she needs, a Atari made in 1989 that costs $400.00. :lol:

"Made in the USA" is basically a misnomer because the phrase can be interpreted in a few ways.

The absolute strictest interpretation is that all parts originates from the United States. This is also an impossibility since most electronic components from something as simple as a capacitor to the most complex of components like the CPU and GPU are manufactured outside of the United States.

As more looser interpretation is "Assembled in the USA". Components originates from all over the world (which is in fact how the supply chain actually works), but the laptop themselves are assembled within the United States. This is similar to the Toyota cars assembled here in the US. The major components are shipped from Japan or from other suppliers across the world to the US. Then the cars / trucks are assembled by Americans (assuming no illegal aliens).

Solution

Leadbelly78

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

Thanks A lot.
I'll select you for the solution.

millwright

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Just to add to the Toyota analogy, the cost of assembling the car is peanuts in cost, compared to the manufacture of the parts from Japan.

So financially their Made in America, makes most of the money for Japan.