Laptops that compete with the M14x

uKnown175

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hey guys!

I have been really wanting to grab a gaming laptop(a desktop is inaccessible for the next 2 years), and after sometime, I can now get an Alienware M14x. But I am also considering another laptop, but I have one problem - I am not sure which ones compare with the M14x. I am looking at the $1000-1200. So, what should I look at?

I have been looking for something that can play the more recent games at medium settings comfortably, and maybe high settings. Thanks in advance! :bounce:

Chaos2Theory

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

The alienware m14x is an excellent choice for a gaming laptop. The keyboard is nice, the structure is very sturdy, taking it apart is quite easy, i run all new games on either medium or high ( bf3 on ultra with 8x aa and high textures with a bios unlock and gpu overclock), and plus the thing is a beast for just all around stuff :p. One thing i would like to point out though is that your gonna want a usb hub because tehre are only 3 usb ports, and then also if u have hot temps, just repaste the cpu and gpu and it will be all good ;)

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Generally the m14x is overprced and heavy.
The screen quality is rather poor, even the upgraded model because of poor colour reproduction.

No a 650m is not going to be playing bf3 on ultra 8xAA at 900p at playable framerates.

Chaos2Theory

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

I will agree to the fact that the screen is only about mid class, however i play at 30-44 fps at 720, OC'd from 750 to 1050.

I can prove it too. :p However i will admit that when i play, i play on my nvidia experience optimized settings, without motion blur, and that gets me to around 50 fps easily.

Think about it this way.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html
Thats the stock 650m. Going over to bf3 it gets 15fps maxed everything at 1080p.
Add at least 10-15 fps to go down to 720 or 768, usually a tad bit more, and then add another five for taking the af down to 8x and using no MSAA, and then another about four or five for the overclock...sounds to me like when coupled with slightly OC'd ddr5(which is not the one use in the tests i linked) at 2 gb that the 650m is doing this no problem at 65 degrees. Any questions as to why you are wrong?

Anyways, if you want the m14x, then go for it. Yes, i will admit there are probably a select few systems in your price range that may be slightly ahead in performance, but with the recent price drops from $1200 to $999 It won't be to drastic. Also as i said, the keyboard feels extremely solid?(not sure how to explain, but is is nice to have a laptop without a stupid chick let keyboard), and its impossible to find one that has better lighting features, and a cooler design if you ask me.

Anyways, thats just my opinion for the most part, its up to you to decide.