Large Size of Windows folder in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2018
I have two ASUS Laptop of following configuration:

1: Intel Core i7 6500U, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD

2: Intel Pentium N3700, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 256 GB SSD

Both are updated to Win 10 Enterprise Ver 1803 Build 17134.1

Both laptop are configured to have no Page file, no Hibernation file, no System restore file, no swap file.

Windows.old folder, temp folder and other log & tmp files are cleared using windows and other utility.

But now the size of windows folder and Installer & system32 sub folder size is following:

Laptop 1:

Windows folder: 52.3 GB (101,364 files)

Installer folder: 21.2 GB (2,547 files)

System32 folder: 21.0 GB (20,852 files)

Laptop 2:

Windows folder: 14.1 GB (86,853 files)

Installer folder: 210 MB (110 files)

System32 folder: 3.7 GB (15,113 files)

How to solve this large file number and size problem in my laptop 1???

I expect answers only from technically sound person, please.

Solution
The prime suspect is the winxsx sub-folder in c:\windows. Second suspect is c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download.

Go into c:\windows\system32 and right click on the file cleanmgr.exe. Choose RunAs Administrator and a small form will show up calculating how much disk space can be freed up.

At the end of the calculation, tick all the boxes to choose to get rid of all of it because it will do no harm. You will see the amount of dead data it found.
The prime suspect is the winxsx sub-folder in c:\windows. Second suspect is c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download.

Go into c:\windows\system32 and right click on the file cleanmgr.exe. Choose RunAs Administrator and a small form will show up calculating how much disk space can be freed up.

At the end of the calculation, tick all the boxes to choose to get rid of all of it because it will do no harm. You will see the amount of dead data it found.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.