Laser Printer Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have the scx-4500w and the review is pretty correct, setting up that Wifi make me want to pull my fingernails out.

My biggest pet peeve is the "scan to pc" button doesn't work as its said to. It will work, if it is in Ad-hoc mode, but if its on the network then you will need to open a program do it, it still works but it takes 5 times longer. Overall a great printer though, its certainly far from an eyesore and fits perfectly on my small filecabinet.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Quote from the Dell 2335dn page: "but when it's printing, that rises to an average of 850 W--contrast that to the 20 W required by an inkjet."

You probably meant 85 w? I'm pretty scared if you didn't.

G

Precisely as the conclusions of the reviewer, I have tested the Samsung SCX-4500W and immediately run into several problems during configuration. I cannot see how the average user will get the machine to work with full functionality. Scanning is extremely weird, requiring you to start programs on the computer, click buttons and run back and forth to the machine to feed the document. It should simply scan to email or to a file share by pressing ONE button! For the record I have tested this device with Windows, Mac, and Linux.

I believe that the manufacturer of the SCX-4500W would clearly benefit from releasing the software of as open source. The original software and documentation has so many flaws and limitations despite the fact that the product has been on the market for perhaps more that a year. No updates seem to be available. Shall I conclude that further development has been stopped?

There is much more that could be done with a beautiful machine like this if the software and documentation are improved!

G

I just bought one of these a week ago, and am very happy with it so far. My requirements were basically for something small to live in my home-office, something which could replace other devices, and something which would cope with a print run of maybe just 100 sheets per year.

This printer fulfils all of these. It nicely fits on the phone table in my hallway, taking the place of the four telephone directories which I had been meaning to junk for a while. Nowhere near any computers. It replaces an all-in-one inkjet (fed up of ink cartridges drying up) and an older colour laser.

Bought for around GBP270, I wasn't expecting quality to be perfect, but it is reasonable for the price. I certainly wouldn't be ashamed to use this printer for my normal business correspondencem although I wouldn't try to print photos and expect good results.

I had read a couple of reports about the printer being difficult to set up but really, it couldn't have been easier and was a sub-five minute job. From the printer's control panel I simply specified a static IP address & gateway, then was able to surf to its configuration pages for finer tuning. The actual installation of the printer drivers was easy, the setup program automatically found the printer and I had no real decisions to make.

Something I still want to do but am not sure if it is possible it to set the machine up such that when you scan from the front panel, it sends the result of the scan to a network folder someplace. But they certainly document that it is possible for this printer to email the result to you, so I am optimistic.

Biggest gripe so far? When I phoned my office and instead of my normal answer machine, the printer's fax cut in after just 2 rings. (No wonder I've had no messages for the last 3 days!) This is a factory default, seems a bit dumb to me, but I can reconfigure it either not to answer, or to increase the number of rings to allow the machine to cut in first.

Overall very happy with this printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.