News LastPass Free will force you to choose between mobile, desktop: What to know

mrmessma

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I sswitched to Bitwarden in 5 min, couldn't have been easier. They have a page for importing from lastpass.

Feb 19, 2021
The only thing that bugs me about this change is the fact that LastPass is opting to effectively hide a past blog post about making multi-device access free by redirecting requests for that post to this new post.

They should be strong and keep the old article active, but maybe modify it to show that it's out of date. They shouldn't try to hide the fact that they are removing a feature that was added in order to gain new free users.

The URL of the old post is http://blog.lastpass.com/2016/11/get-lastpass-everywhere-multi-device-access-is-now-free/ And yeah, it's definitely giving a 301 redirect to the new article: https://blog.lastpass.com/2021/02/changes-to-lastpass-free/

If anyone would like to read the old article, you can do so here: https://web.archive.org/web/2020110...s-everywhere-multi-device-access-is-now-free/

BTW, no sour grapes here. I pay to use LastPass and I love it. I just dislike the approach of fishing for users with a free feature and then forcing those users to pay to retain that feature.

TonyVov

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
Password manager LastPass is cutting back its free plan so that it will no longer sync across all user devices. Here's what that means for you.

LastPass Free will force you to choose between mobile, desktop: What to know : Read more
I switched to Bitwarden, on PC and on Android, find the hidden form fill in ADVANCED/OPTIONS to make life a lot easier. So far working with a low/no learning curve andthere is a simple export/import from LastPass. to get you started.

Mar 5, 2021
MORE OF A CONCERN: LASTPASS FINGERPRINT LOGIN HAS BEEN BROKEN NOW FOR 3 MONTHS IN CHROME AND FIREFOX AND THEY DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A CLUE ABOUT HOW TO FIX IT.

I have been a very happy LastPass user for some time. I subscribe to the Premium service because I want the fingerprint login capability. (My vault key is 64 bytes long!) So, it's been very frustrating and annoying that this feature has been broken since December 2020 in their Chrome and Firefox extensions on Windows 10. I have communicated many times to tech support and they just give me boilerplate responses or a workaround that doesn't work.

For Firefox, you can rollback to version 4.58.0.4 (available directly from Mozilla) and it will work again. I presume an earlier version of the Chrome extension would work as well, except the only place that seems to have it is crx4chrome.com . But obviously, I'm not going to get this kind of thing from a 3rd party source.

This failure of LastPass should concern people more than their current change in policy to require Premium for syncing across devices, etc. (Frankly, I think that's entirely appropriate for them or any other similar product to do.) It really questions the caliber of their development team that they can't make a previously working feature work again when the problem is entirely in their own code. And that's a big worry with a security product as critically important as this.