LED TV Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Hopefull to see full, led backligted tv, comparison in the future.
This is like fast snack... I am still hungry. But led based tvset are great interest in year 2010. In 2012 they hopefullu are obsolete by Oled, but at this moment they are coming to main stream.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I got to look at a variety of brands and models at several stores. They had the partial and full led backlit models. I can't make up my mind whether I like them better than my plasma tv.

G

The most important "feature" of a LEd-Tv; LED backlight; isn't even mentioned. How about backlight bleeding, people !
Is it good? How good? It's most likely the only thing that sets a LED-TV apart from a normal TN panel.

silentbobdc

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I'm still happy with my Samsung 52" A650. In a few years I may move over but for now there's just not enough improvement to justify the cost.

beatcoaster

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]Every LED TV I've seen up close looks like crap[/citation]

Agreed, I have yet to see any LCD based tv look as good as a plasma or old crt. I really wish manufacturers would just ditch trying to make LCD's look decent and just concentrate on OLED tech at this point...

mrcairo

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
No one sits up close to a LED (in their right mind), I have a year old 47" Vizio and it looks great on the HD channels and dvds.

If you sit 6-8' away (like on the couch) it looks really good imo

To each their own I guess...

But I'll never go back to a crt in the living room, very happy!

Regards

psmcardle

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Plasmas are thicker, twice the weight and eat power like there's no tomorrow. At least you can watch an LED TV in a room with bright ambiant lighting and still see the screen instean of reflections.

beatcoaster

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
[citation][nom]psmcardle[/nom]Plasmas are thicker, twice the weight and eat power like there's no tomorrow. At least you can watch an LED TV in a room with bright ambiant lighting and still see the screen instean of reflections.[/citation]

Somebody doesn't own a plasma and/or believes everything they hear from the Best Buy salesman...

Thicker?, yes, but who cares about another inch - big whoop it's only 3" thick as it is. Twice the weight?, depends on the model, but again who cares; I'm not taking it to work everyday with me and I only had to worry about that one time, when I mounted it on the wall. More power?, yes, but on average only 150watts more at 42" size, turn off two light bulbs in your house. Ambient light issues? Mine faces a wall of windows 24/7 and has zero issues unless the sun is setting and it is directly firing at the screen, so I go close the blinds...

Ability to have deep blacks, a wide color gamut, great skin tones, zero screen door effect, no dead pixels, zero viewing angle problems, no jagged edges, SD material looks good, and it costs much less than LCD for the same screen size?! Win, win, win, win, win...Until OLED goes mainstream, Plasma all day long...:)

G

LCD and Plasma are totally different puppies. Plasma pixels can die since each image dot called a pixel is a little light bulb. Fluorescent tube backlights the entire LCD screen if a light dies your entire image will be gone since the Liquid Dynamic Crystals wont be lit anymore. This is why LED which last longer is better in a way, that is if they really last longer in reality (maybe some other piece will break). Also all energy saving lights make you depressive.

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Just a small note. Thoughout the short article they keep calling the LCD's when it's titled LED TV ShootOut.....did they forget what their own article was about?

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Just a small note. Thoughout the short article they keep calling the LCD's when it's titled LED TV ShootOut.....did they forget what their own article was about?

Status
Not open for further replies.