Left 4 Dead Fans Boycott Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
f'n idiots.

Don't want it, don't buy it. They're looking to change some things that they weren't happy about.

If these people get between me and getting my chainsaw on, we're gonna have more than words!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
they did promise more stuff, but if they say it's worth it, and if they say it would be too difficult for them to release it as dlc, i believe them

hell, i'd pay full price for the game if i had, valve is one of those companies i wouldn't mind DONATING a few of my dollars to, just cause of the content they give. ill just have to pick it up when its halfoff though...

oh, and valve also said they're still releasing stuff for the first one so STOP WHINING

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
So out of all the things that we should be excited for this is what you point out? "Left 4 Dead 2 is a larger game and will be supported with even more consumer and retail advertising programs than the original" I can tell you already I wont be purchasing this, since I JUST got L4D1, 1 month ago... To the gaming community VALVE was the only real developer left. NOt just in it for the profit, this title PROVES how incorrect that statement is. Valve has hold out

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
sign me up. L4D came to us incomplete(only 4 campaign maps and only two of them for versus) and as fun as the game was it loses its appeal after 40 hours or so. Now they bring us another one only a year later yet HL:EP 3 is not here, no new CS, no new DOD, and lack of an sdk for custom maps in L4D.

and tenor, thats the point of the boycott, they wont buy it because they dont want it and they hope to send a clear message to valve. right now that group is growing and their concerns are legitimate.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
I JUST bought L4D because it came out as a game of the year edition and it kind of peeved me when they made this announcement, to be honest. Im not exactly mad at them like I was when Gears 2 got paid downloadable content 1 month after release but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Wanker79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Valve is on a VERY short list of developers that have earned and deserve some benefit of the doubt. The fact that 21,000 childish idiots would rage because they perceive that Valve isn't living up to a ridiculously high standard that almost no other developer could come close to measuring up to doesn't really surprise me. It disgusts me.

If they would have released this as a $20-$30 expansion, that would have been awesome. If they put together some kind of discounted price for owners of the original, great! If they just release it as a full price stand-alone title, I might be a bit disappointed. But being pissed off because you're not getting something for free is absurd. The self-entitlement in that sentiment makes me nauseous.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Already joined the group, hehe.

To any saying this boycott is negligible. Then do the math. 20,000 x 50 is $1,000,000. I can't believe ValVe wouldn't feel the hit of that much money.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]Wanker79[/nom]Valve is on a VERY short list of developers that have earned and deserve some benefit of the doubt. The fact that 21,000 childish idiots would rage because they perceive that Valve isn't living up to a ridiculously high standard that almost no other developer could come close to measuring up to doesn't really surprise me. It disgusts me.If they would have released this as a $20-$30 expansion, that would have been awesome. If they put together some kind of discounted price for owners of the original, great! If they just release it as a full price stand-alone title, I might be a bit disappointed. But being pissed off because you're not getting something for free is absurd. The self-entitlement in that sentiment makes me nauseous.[/citation]
I'm with ya. I'm ok if they release it like the CoH expansions. They're separate but people with different expansions can play together.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]Already joined the group, hehe.To any saying this boycott is negligible. Then do the math. 20,000 x 50 is $1,000,000. I can't believe ValVe wouldn't feel the hit of that much money.[/citation]
If you subtract a 50% piracy factor you're left with $500K. Valve can take it :)

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow. Valve was the only "real developer" and was not in it for a profit. That is a pretty amusing statement. Valve is a business and the primary goal of a business is to make money. Valve is no exception. You 21,000 idiots can boycott L4D2 all you want there have been about 5 million copies of L4D sold from Steam and through box stores I can't imagine Valve cares that 21,000 of those people won't be upgrading. Even if 20% of L4D customers bought L4D2 it would be a huge success for Valve.

Guys sound like all the whining Apple fans that get all pissy when Apple releases a new product 9 months after releasing a new product that makes the one you bought look obsolete.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
But being pissed off because you're not getting something for free is absurd. The self-entitlement in that sentiment makes me nauseous.

this is the very heart of the issue, Wanker79. they said they would provide wot the descenters are asking for free as part of ongoing supplements to L4D and they're turning around and are trying to sell it to them instead. had they never said anything about it and just came out with it i don't think this kerfuffle would be at hand...

Wanker79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]this is the very heart of the issue, Wanker79. they said they would provide wot the descenters are asking for free as part of ongoing supplements to L4D and they're turning around and are trying to sell it to them instead. had they never said anything about it and just came out with it i don't think this kerfuffle would be at hand...[/citation]

Actually they've said they will continue to support L4D1 with new content, but all the stuff they're trying to do in L4D2 was just too large to justify giving it away for free.

G

Good luck my friends. But, keep in mind that even if they don't release the game they are already focusing on another game. So, even if you were playing lets say Day of defeat source since it came out. You would feel shafted once they started work on tf2 and would continue to feel that way. This might be the best way to get more focus on l4d, but that doesn't mean you have to like it. Valve is not blizzard sadly enough. :/

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]If you subtract a 50% piracy factor you're left with $500K. Valve can take it[/citation]
Honestly I can see why people would pirate it, you buy a game fore 50 bucks expecting to get a honestly done, GOOD game out of it and instead you get to play a beta for the NEXT game which by mere chance also costs $50.

That being said I am no pirate, but I personally can't justify spending $50 bucks every other month just so valve can milk the profit.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Although I understand why the boycotters are upset, I'm going to wait for the game to be released be fore I pass judgment on Valve. If the game is just LFD 1.5, then I won't buy it, but if it's a true sequel I will. I won't sign up to boycott LFD2 without first knowing what I'm boycotting.

G

Quit whining. Sequels are better. L4D2 will be great. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.