Lenovo B50-80 ODD

VishnuVGC

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
Hello,

I need an optical disk drive for my Lenovo B50-80. It came with a dummy. I have spent most of my afternoon looking but did not find any info.

Does any one know the part no. for the drive and bezel? Any alternatives?

Thanks

Vishnu

Solution

I'm not aware of a bezel being needed. But that doesn't mean it isn't. Just that most drives simply replace the dummy that is installed in the slot. Yes, best to check with the supplier.

Btw, if you only need a DVD burner/player for occasional use, there is also an external USB solution like this. I have used this on several builds that didn't have a DVD drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106104
It is completely plug and play. No software or drivers needed. Installed many a Win OS from this on builds that had no ODD.

clutchc

Distinguished

I'm not aware of a bezel being needed. But that doesn't mean it isn't. Just that most drives simply replace the dummy that is installed in the slot. Yes, best to check with the supplier.

Btw, if you only need a DVD burner/player for occasional use, there is also an external USB solution like this. I have used this on several builds that didn't have a DVD drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106104
It is completely plug and play. No software or drivers needed. Installed many a Win OS from this on builds that had no ODD.

Solution

VishnuVGC

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I checked with the supplier. They do not include the bezel. Basically it is just a 9mm drive. The bezel is needed to finish - otherwise there will be a gap/hole on the side and no push button to eject.

Thanks.

clutchc

Distinguished
You shouldn't need any bezel because the black face of the drive acts as the bezel, no? And the push button is integral to the slot/door. Look very close at the blow up picture and you can see it near the center of the drive's black face. That is typical of all slim-line drives.

clutchc

Distinguished

I meant Lenovo's website chat support. Friday 9:00 am – 9:00 pm and Saturday - Sunday 9:00 am to 5:45 pm Eastern Time.

clutchc

Distinguished

OK. I see. I get it now. That is the faceplate of the drive that normally comes integral with the unit on conventional slimline drives. Odd design when most don't need that as a separate piece.