News Lenovo Chromebook Duet is a cheap iPad killer — and it comes with a keyboard

May 5, 2020
No where near an iPad killer but this processor will do anything a mid range phone will do. I have 2 other mediatek devices that both run at about 2.0ghz and there are very few things that it will not do.

I would call this tablet, everything a good ANDORID tablet should have been. App monster would also be a good description.

There are very few quality andorid tablets for $300 with 4gb of ram. I have found that 3 or 4 tabs in chrome runs fine with this amount. Any thing more and it stutters.

Graphics are on the lower end, not as much about gpu power but when it comes to writing games, there are some things that are written spacifically for snapdragon processors that wont work on this device. All simple game will run fine but a few high end native game will crash.
It will play PUBG no problem. Fortnight NO! World of Kings NO!

Other then that this tablet will run nearly every app in the play store. MS Office and Adobe Creative Cloud.

Just compare this to a Galaxy Tab A

Also this is perfect for kids of all ages, My son does 100% of his online school on a chromebook.

Last edited:

selden

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
I ordered a Duet on a lark from BB last week. It arrived Wednesday. I was fully prepared to return it the next day, as I expected unacceptably slow performance from the MediaTek processor. I was pleasantly surprised. Performance is acceptable and, inexplicably, it loads Gmail faster than any other device in my household. The screen is gorgeous, the speakers are acceptable (although I almost always use BT earbuds for portable devices), and the keyboard, while small, has a good feel. Battery life is incredible. Yesterday I ran it intermittently for 12.5 hours before giving up and going to bed. It reported that it still had a 30% charge and ~4 hours runtime left. This is the first laptop that I have ever used that doesn't induce battery anxiety.

I realize that this may be a minority opinion, but for me the fact that the Duet is not an Android device is a huge advantage. I spent a fair amount of time during setup ripping out lobotomized Android apps (Gmail, Google Photos, Google Play Music, YouTube, and more) and replacing them with their more functional web equivalents.

I can see no reason to buy the 64 Gb version, as the 128 Gb version is only $20 more. To my surprise, the Duet is a keeper.