Lenovo Edge 15 laptop won't turn on, Power button light blinking white. Battery sealed & cannot access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuzammilRazvi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
I have a Lenovo Edge 15 laptop, but it won't turn on. The power button LED light is blinking white on and off at about 1 second intervals. No other lights are on including the battery indicator light next to it. This laptop type has the battery sealed away and not immediately accessible. To access the battery, one has to remove 11 small screws, then pop the back off, and even then the battery itself is screwed into the unit.
I do not believe the battery has any problems as I was using the laptop very recently with and without the power cord, and had no problems whatsoever.
I'm using Windows 10.

When I press the power button once, nothing happens at all, the screen doesn't turn on, and I don't hear any sounds from the laptop.

Holding the power button down for >1 minute does nothing at all, the power light continues to blink white.

Pressing keys on the keyboard does nothing as well.

I have tried these with and without my power cord plugged in.

I know the most common solution is to "Remove the power cord and battery, then hold the power button down for 30 seconds, then put battery back in and power cord, then power on". I just wanted to see what other options are available since the battery is hard to access and I don't want to void any warranty by mistake.

Solution
I got it to turn back on by disconnecting the battery.

1)using a eyeglass repair kit screwdriver, remove all 11 screws from the back of the laptop. save the screws in a safe spot
2)pop off the back of the laptop
3)the battery is connected to the motherboard by a multicolored cord made up of several wires. If you gently pull at this you can disconnect the battery . I was hesitant to do this at first, but here's a guide I found for a similar laptop:
http://www.urtech.ca/2015/10/solved-lenovo-flex-3-flashing-power-light-but-will-not-power-up/
4)Hold the power button down for 30 seconds to a minute
5)Reconnect the battery. You should now see the battery indicator turn on (mines was solid white). You may also see power turn on...

MuzammilRazvi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
I got it to turn back on by disconnecting the battery.

1)using a eyeglass repair kit screwdriver, remove all 11 screws from the back of the laptop. save the screws in a safe spot
2)pop off the back of the laptop
3)the battery is connected to the motherboard by a multicolored cord made up of several wires. If you gently pull at this you can disconnect the battery . I was hesitant to do this at first, but here's a guide I found for a similar laptop:
http://www.urtech.ca/2015/10/solved-lenovo-flex-3-flashing-power-light-but-will-not-power-up/
4)Hold the power button down for 30 seconds to a minute
5)Reconnect the battery. You should now see the battery indicator turn on (mines was solid white). You may also see power turn on automatically now.
6)put the cover back on and screw all 11 screws back in
7)plug in the power adaptor
8)turn the power on, should boot up normally!

Here's the user manual for the Lenovo Edge 15.
https://static.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/113224.pdf
This is what I got from it:

Power status indicator: Blinking — The computer is in sleep mode.

it mentions in the troubleshooting section something about a sleep mode issue, but this didn't work for me:
Your computer does not
respond.
• To turn off your computer, press and hold the power
button for 4 seconds or more. If the computer still
does not respond, remove the battery pack and the
AC power adapter.
• Your computer might lock when it enters sleep mode
during a communication operation. Disable the sleep
timer when you are working on the network.

It also mentions:
Putting the computer to sleep or shutting it 
down - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When you have finished working with your computer, you can put it to sleep or shut
it down.
 Putting your computer to sleep
If you will be away from your computer for only a short time, put the
computer to sleep.
When the computer is in sleep mode, you can quickly wake it to resume use,
bypassing the startup process.
To put the computer to sleep, do one of the following:
• Close the display lid.
• Press the power button.
• Open the charms, and then select Settings  Power  Sleep.
To wake the computer, do one of the following:
• Press any key on the keyboard.
Note: Wait until the power indicator light starts blinking (indicating that the computer is
in sleep mode) before you move your computer. Moving your computer while the
hard disk is spinning can damage the hard disk, causing loss of data.
Note: If the computer does not awaken after pressing a key on the keyboard, this means
that the computer has entered an enhanced power‐saving mode

So I think this problem is associated with either sleep mode, or the "enhanced power-saving mode",

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.