Lenovo Flex15-D Laptop Starts Only On Battery

mcinator

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
I purchased a Lenovo Flex15D with this peculiar problem. If the charge cable is plugged in the laptop will not start or even show the power light being on. Unplugging the charge cable the laptop starts normally. The old trick of removing the battery and charge cable and pressing the start button will allow the laptop to start with the charge cable plugged in. Doing a restart the laptop will also boot normally. However after shutting down for a cold boot then attempting to restart there again is no sign of power to the board. I have tried different charge cables off other Lenovo's with the same cable. It makes no difference.

Removing the bottom cover and observing the cooling fan verifies there is no power when plugged in as if it has power the fan will briefly kick on. I've checked the power connection on the motherboard and charger socket finding no defects.

It appears to have a weak component in the motherboard thus merits a board change. Can anyone verify this or maybe offer another solution or something else to check out? Motherboard replacement is the last thing I want to do but if necessary make this change.

Thank you one and all!

JMc

Solution
After extensive work on this laptop I found a faulty ribbon cable between the switch and motherboard. Now this computer performs rock solid. Strange problem, simple solution, just difficult to find.

mcinator

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

mcinator

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
After extensive work on this laptop I found a faulty ribbon cable between the switch and motherboard. Now this computer performs rock solid. Strange problem, simple solution, just difficult to find.

Solution