lenovo G50 30 power supply issues (revised)

Robjohn1

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
AC adapter feels very loose and the machine will not always charge the battery. I need to extract and re-insert the AC plug many times and hope the charge will start. I have attempted several fixes for example removing battery and that is as far as I get as the machine shuts down the moment the battery is removed. I have insurance and asked for a repair. the findings said poor battery. I have replaced the battery and still have the original problems - intermittent charge/remove and reinsert AC lead several times before charging occurs. I am pretty sure there is a problem somewhere within the machine.

Q1 should this machine be able to operate with the battery removed ie on AC power.
Q2 might the ac port be faulty as my lead has always been a very loose fit

Solution
In answer to question 1. Most laptops will run on the charger alone, however it isn't good to do that for long.

And in response to question 2. Oh yes, they go bad all the time. If the cord gets jerked out of the device, knocked around, etc., it will cause damage to the charger cord and/or the charger port. The cord is simple to replace. The port not so much. In the case of the port, it is probably attached to the motherboard, leading to the distinct possibility that the only way to replace it is to replace the motherboard.
In answer to question 1. Most laptops will run on the charger alone, however it isn't good to do that for long.

And in response to question 2. Oh yes, they go bad all the time. If the cord gets jerked out of the device, knocked around, etc., it will cause damage to the charger cord and/or the charger port. The cord is simple to replace. The port not so much. In the case of the port, it is probably attached to the motherboard, leading to the distinct possibility that the only way to replace it is to replace the motherboard.

Solution

Robjohn1

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

Thank you