Solved! Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5-1470 Black Screen after SSD Install

wjnewson

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Recently, I purchased a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5-1470 and added a 500GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO to the empty 2.5-inch SATA space. After finishing the install, my laptop appears to turn on (power button stays illuminated and USB ports charge phones) but the screen stays black and doesn’t turn on. I connected it to an external monitor via HDMI but still see nothing. Any ideas fixing this would be great!

Edit: I have removed the newly installed Samsung SSD and replaced it with the original empty bracket. No change in black screen response.

Solution
When you were inside, if you knocked the connections from the motherboard to the display, even just a little, that could cause this.

I would go back in and make sure these connections are snug on both ends. If that doesn't do it, then I would try the following, but not using HDMI if possible, as that can give you a false not working when it doesn't show on the other display.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external...
When you were inside, if you knocked the connections from the motherboard to the display, even just a little, that could cause this.

I would go back in and make sure these connections are snug on both ends. If that doesn't do it, then I would try the following, but not using HDMI if possible, as that can give you a false not working when it doesn't show on the other display.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution

wjnewson

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

Unfortunately, this solution did not work for me so I will assume something is wrong with the motherboard. Thank you for the advice.