lenovo laptop question

Solution
Overall, it is pretty good for the price. The GT 750m is similar in performance to the 940mx; though the 940mx supports DX12 and the 750m does not. I think the least expensive new laptop with the 940mx is around $550. Of course, such a laptop would have a dual core i5 CPU rather than a quad core i7 CPU.

If the laptop has two GT 750m, then great... as long as the game can make use of SLI. Otherwise, the 2nd GT 750m is not doing anything for you.

According to notebookcheck.net the laptop runs warm even when not playing games. When playing games, the laptop runs hot with both CPU and GPU get up to 90c (and maybe higher). I would highly recommend you replace the old thermal paste with new thermal paste because thermal paste can...

packersfan036

Estimable
May 27, 2015

no, they were sold out. so the Lenovo isn't worth 250 then?

Overall, it is pretty good for the price. The GT 750m is similar in performance to the 940mx; though the 940mx supports DX12 and the 750m does not. I think the least expensive new laptop with the 940mx is around $550. Of course, such a laptop would have a dual core i5 CPU rather than a quad core i7 CPU.

If the laptop has two GT 750m, then great... as long as the game can make use of SLI. Otherwise, the 2nd GT 750m is not doing anything for you.

According to notebookcheck.net the laptop runs warm even when not playing games. When playing games, the laptop runs hot with both CPU and GPU get up to 90c (and maybe higher). I would highly recommend you replace the old thermal paste with new thermal paste because thermal paste can deteriorate over time. I generally recommend Arctic MX4, which reminds me... I need to order more of it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Compound-Performance-Heatsink-Interface/dp/B0045JCFLY

Purchasing a cooling pad is generally a good idea for a gaming laptop since it can potentially lower the internal temps by a few degrees. I say "potentially" because it depends how the internals of the laptop is designed; some designs allow for better airflow than others which helps reduce internal temps. For example, I purchased the Deepcool Multicore x6 laptop cooler for my Dell Latitude 3450 which has an i5-4200u and Radeon HD 8850m. The CPU runs at 75c and the GPU runs at 65c when playing games. The laptop cooler did not make any difference. However, when I use it with my Dell Inspiron 15 7559 with an i5-6300HQ and GTX 960m, the laptop cooler lowered temps by 4c to 5c.

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-Cooling-Multi-Core-X6/dp/B00B3RZ298/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1507729566&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=deepcool+multicore+x6

Another idea is to remove the 2nd GT 750m if the laptop has it. You can also disable Turbo Boost so that the CPU does not overclock itself. That means the CPU will run at a max speed of 2.4GHz rather than potentially up to 3.4GHz (when only one core is used). You should be able to disable Turbo Boost by going into Power Management and setting the Max CPU performance to 99%.

Solution

packersfan036

Estimable
May 27, 2015

with that being said from you, I think ill pass on the purchase, sounds like a headache lol