Solved! Lenovo laptop turns on but has black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpLenovo

Commendable
May 5, 2016
So, this has happened before but I can usually fix it by following the steps I've seen online such as holding the F8 and Shift buttons, then pressing the power button. I also tried removing the battery and holding the power button for x amount of time and putting it back in.

It was working before and, all of a sudden, it would go black each time I pressed the 'w' key. I restarted my laptop and I am back to a black screen.

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help:
  1. Start by doing a hard reboot: Remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter. Then, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and try booting it up again.
  2. If this does not work, do test the AC adapter to see if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected. Then, see if it will boot up or not.
  3. Do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
  4. Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter does not work. Remove them all for a couple of seconds. Then, put them back in, making sure everything is seated properly.
  5. If it still does not work...
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help:
  1. Start by doing a hard reboot: Remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter. Then, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and try booting it up again.
  2. If this does not work, do test the AC adapter to see if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected. Then, see if it will boot up or not.
  3. Do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
  4. Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter does not work. Remove them all for a couple of seconds. Then, put them back in, making sure everything is seated properly.
  5. If it still does not work, connect an external monitor and see if you get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor, that could mean that the problem is the built-in display.
  6. But, if there's still no display on the external monitor, the problem might be the motherboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

HelpLenovo

Commendable
May 5, 2016
So after posting this, my laptop randomly turned on properly again where I completely refreshed my entire laptop and it went back to almost complete factory settings. This morning, I try turning it on and black screen again. Its not a screen issue is it if it clearly turns on?

JDKN7_

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

JDKN7_

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Issue is with the gpu aka graphics card which is on its way out. You can open laptop up and heat the gpu which will get it working but how long it will keep working for is like saying how long is a piece of string. The other issue is you cannot replace the gpu as it is built in. Many new laptops come with built in gpu which is a pain because when they go wrong you can't change them so you have to basically replace your laptop. I would advise everyone to stay away from laptops with built in cpu and gpu as they will go wrong which means either get a new motherboard which are not available or buy a new laptop. I will be going back to desktop as all manufacturers are building laptops with built in gpu just so when they go wrong you have to replace laptop. My old HTC hero is more reliable than these new laptops. Load of crap they are. I will try fixing laptop by taking it apart and heating the gpu and once that's done it's up for sale. Here is a link to how to fix the problem but it's just a temp fix.

https://youtu.be/XS1lWh63tv0

Reason why this happens is the chip design is a flip chip type. There are bumps Inside the chips which become faulty due to thermal stress due to the fan not cooling gpu properly.

Any how I would love to have some sort of protest against lenovo and all other manufacturers who have embedded chips on the motherboard as when they go wrong you have to replace the whole motherboard where as on old laptops you can simply just swap out the gpu aka graphics card.

I paid £600 pounds and just over 3 years this problem acured where as I have a old Dell laptop from 2006 which still runs. My issue started when I upgraded to Windows 10 which is another problem in itself. Seen this happen to a lot of laptops which upgraded from windows 7 8 8.1 to 10. Heem. Gpus built in and upgrade required by Microsoft. I can see a trend but maybe I'm just overlooking things.

onzerelli

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Recently worked on a Lenovo G505 which has weird issue. I new it was booting by using an external monitor but laptop screen was blank.
Only way to get correct boot so that laptop screen display is visible (including Lenovo splash screen, and incidentally, the webcam to be recognised correctly in device manager) is to press power on button and immediately close the laptop lid and reopen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.