Solved! Lenovo Legion Y7000 Won't Go To BIOS

Feb 20, 2019
I am in desperate need of some advice.

I purchased a Lenovo Legion Y7000 laptop. I started getting blue screens (BSOD) a few weeks into ownership. Last week the laptop got another bsod and basically died. Legacy boot is disabled in bios and I'm now unable to get into BIOS at all. When the laptop turns on, it takes a minute and then goes to the screen that says Legion and then restarts. It does this over and over again in a loop. I've tried many combinations of keys to get into the BIOS (F2, FN + F2, F12, Shift, Del, etc). I've also used a paperclip to try the Novo key, but that doesn't work either.

Nothing works so far. I ordered an external DVDRW drive to see if I could get it to boot from a disk but that's not working because I can't get into the bios. The laptop battery is not removable unless I take the laptop apart. I worry that might void my warranty.

At this point, I am just doing damage control. I need to ensure the hard drive is wiped before I return this to Costco. I have confidential client files on the machine and cant risk them getting out.

Thanks in advance for your help. Basically looking for new ideas around how I can get into BIOS or wipe the hard drive so I can return this garbage.

Solution
If this is a new device and under warranty, then you should not do anything involving opening it up, or void said warranty.

Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if it will load. If it will, then you likely have something on the computer that is the problem. Bad update, bad program, virus, malware, etc. However, if it won't start in "Safe Mode" either, then it is likely a flaw in hardware. Then you are best to return it and get them to give you a correctly working one.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal...
If this is a new device and under warranty, then you should not do anything involving opening it up, or void said warranty.

Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if it will load. If it will, then you likely have something on the computer that is the problem. Bad update, bad program, virus, malware, etc. However, if it won't start in "Safe Mode" either, then it is likely a flaw in hardware. Then you are best to return it and get them to give you a correctly working one.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution