Lenovo P50 vs Precision 7510

rbalaji79

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
Hi Guys,

Im looking for a new first laptop. I have two in my mind Lenovo P50 and Precision 7510. I use virtualisation technology and setting up home lab. I would really like your suggestion in terms of below,

Heat management
Overall Performance
Battery life
bugs if any for ex speaker disortion, graphics issue, overheating etc.

If i may have missed anything please add it to your suggestions. Please could i ask for your detailed reply so it would be of great help.

rbalaji79

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
Thanks for your inputs. I have L440 office laptop. Its hinges are little bit shaking when i close or open the laptop. Also when i gently press on the bottom middle of the screen it just goes in. Its kind of not strengthy. L440 cooling is good.

Do you have any more specific and technical advantage of P50 over 7510. It would be really help full for me.

Jon_Osterman

Commendable
May 14, 2016
Did you buy it ?? I am also contemplating on buying , however there are many complaints around P50 overall quality - namely around the substandard 4k screen & fan issues ( there are youtube videos posted ) I noticed Dell 7510 and HP Zbook do not have similar issues .

Also on the Dell 7510 - it says IGZO panel 4k display ; don't see a similar IGZO panel for P50 .

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

You are delusional, Dell's and hp models have tons of issues only 2 models that lenovo has made have been lemons the t410 and the t440.

You can't beat build quality,fan quality or screen quality in a thinkpad. Why buy a Dell when thinkpads control life support on the international space station that should prove the reliability.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

It has to be good if nasa puts peoples lifes in the hands of a computer manufacturer..... As to the bloatware that was once around 2013 ish when Superfish was around , that was not lenovos fault but the fact that superfishes maker lied about it. As to the returning the machines its mostly stupid people buying a machine they didnt need or know what it was and having buyers remorse.

Greetings, rbalaji:

I'm a Lenovo guy myself, and although I don't own a P50 or a Precision I thought I'd offer a few general thoughts on these machines (I'm assuming prices and specs are more or less comparable):

The P50 is designed to be the best ThinkPad currently available and as such it meets most expectations. The only major gripe concerns the panels on offfer, which range from OK (4K) to downright awful (TN). Lenovo just seems less concerned with this issue than Dell, which consistently gets high praise for the panels, even the low-grade ones.

ThinkPads are conservatively-styled business machines built to sustain bumps, drops and all manner of inclement work environments - and they have more than 20 years' experience of doing just that. The Precision is a stylish work-station with impressive specs, but it lacks the solid credentials of the ThinkPads. The Precision might turn out to be every bit as durable and dependable as any ThinkPad - it just doesn't have the track record yet.

But Dell does have an unbeatable reputation for making great panels, which is especially appreciated in the consumer-grade models (e.g. XPS), and if this is important to you, then the Precision has a definite advantage. If not, then the ThinkPads' proven track record is likely to tip the scale in favour of the P50.

Both machines are monstrously expensive, so check out some YouTube reviews, e.g. Mobile Tech Reviews.

Best of luck (whichever you choose),
GreyCatz.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Thank you for being a fellow thinkpad fan i agree. I have had bad experiences with 2 dell laptops that is why i never recommend them. Had one where the screen cracked because it had literally nothing supporting it. Had another one where the fan controller died. So frankly as good as dell might be i dont trust them.

Especially after the support run around i got when i tried to buy a refurb. They shifted me between 20 agents who didnt know anything and all gave me different answers then disconnected me just as we were getting up to speed on what i wanted.

Made me mad enough to avoid dell.

CoderDan

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi All,

I have a Dell Precision 7510 (with XEON E3-1545M) through work, and a Lenovo P50 (with XEON E3-1535M) for personal use. I use both to run CPU intensive parallel simulation models. Both are very good machines. I've had a few glitches with the Dell, and both machines have their pros and cons (The lenovo having an off-centre keyboard continues to catch me out), however my preference would be the Lenovo, based on construction, cooling, and price.

Happy to answer any questions if there are any more. My previous laptop was a Dell XPS15 which I still use. Upgrade due to RAM limitation, along with cooling issues with XPS, along with 'hissing' noise documented with the XPS.

Dan

GTgamo

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

Hey Dan,
I am considering purchase of either the 7510 or the P50. My past 10 laptops have all been Thinkpads, and i have never had an issue with them, I have heard mixed comments on the newer offerings. Knowing what you know now about both machines with budget not being the limiting factor what would you purchase as of now with all the offerings on the market? Also i have heard rumors of the new Mac Book pro that is supposedly going to slaughter both the Dell and the Thinkpad, but as of now it is all speculation. I have never been a big fan of Mac at all, and really wasn't looking forward to jumping ship, however if the difference is that great it may be difficult not to consider it as well.

CoderDan

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi GTgamo,
It all depends on your use for the laptop. I'm pretty happy with both machines and they suit my needs pretty well at the moment, though am always looking to see what else is out there. I would think the new Mac Book would be about the same specs as the 7510 and P50, though both the 7510 and P50 are highly configurable. If the surface book pro4 (or future 5) had more RAM I would consider this for the portability benefits also.

GTgamo

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

So what in your opinion are the strengths and weaknesses of each system? I am also wondering if there is any noticeable difference in speed when going from the basic Xeon processor to the fastest offering which is close to $1000.00 more on both systems.

CoderDan

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi GTgamo,
To be honest, both machines I've configured fairly identically, so there isn't much difference between them for my uses. I've put 64Gb ECC RAM in the Lenovo, and 32Gb ECC RAM in the Dell also. I've found the customer support from both suppliers very good also. Interestingly, if you negotiate the price they do offer some unofficial substantial discounts in the order of 15-20% the listed price. Even after these discounts, I found the Lenovo to be more value for money.

In terms of speed, there are alot of differences which should be considered, and again all depends on your use. The Intel website lists the specs, but some useful items in terms of speed are the base clock rate, the turbo boost speed, and then how many processors the turbo boost applies to. These things are very important. If you're chasing CPU speed (and depending on whether your needs are mostly single or multi-threaded CPU applications), I would also then consider an over-clocked I7, not available with the Dell or Lenovo. The fastest CPU proprietary laptop that I'm aware of is the by Origin (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/origin-pc-eon17-slx-gaming-laptop,4459-2.html), though I've never used them myself.

Derek_34

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
btw, how were you able to get the xeon 1535 on the P50, I don't see that option on the shop.lenovo.com website. Dell has an option to select upto 1575 Xeon, but with P50 I only see 1505

GTgamo

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
The processor options for the P50 has become limited to only one offering as of late. I suspect this is because they are going to introduce a successor to the p50 or at least update it slightly.

g12345s

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
I second that. Look out for warranty on refurbished. was told by Dell that I wasn't the customer, and any returns would be made to the reseller. Also watch out for international coverage of warranty (don't know if that's important to you). I wasted 3 weeks trying to deal with Dell support, and a whole day just trying to contact someone in my own language. I had two engineers out (screen then motherboard replacement), and have returned two Dell M5510 laptops to the reseller with flickering screens. So Dell screens may get good reviews, and maybe you'll be luckier than me.. But when you really need technical support (in your own language), next business day, and a working laptop, I can say from a nightmare experience that Dell do not, and cannot deliver. They do not have the systems, infrastructure, staff, or customer focus. The reason I'm on this forum is to find out which Lenovo I should have bought first time round.