Question Lenovo P51S to dell monitor loses signal

Jul 26, 2023
Posted at Lenovo. Thought I might get more help here...

I have a Lenovo P51S > 40A2 Dock > External Dell Monitor. All works perfectly 95% of the time with the exception of a session in the Develop Module of Lightroom and occasionally with Hulu the monitor will go black and after first or second time that happens will lose the signal and shut down. Its clear the monitor can no longer find a video signal from the messages on the screen as it turns off. Undocking and redocking gets it back, which is why I am suspecting the dock!

I have updated both Intel Graphics and NVIDIA graphics driver and tried both. I have tried both DP and HDMI. Happens in all these cases. Same with using graphics acceleration in the apps or not. I have tried multiple cables. Not any of the foregoing.

Could it a bad dock? Does not seem to have more current firmware since I bought it, but could it be firmware? How do I check the installed version? Could it be the power supply ?

This one drives me crazy. Would appreciate any help. ONLY happens with graphic intensive apps like Lightroom with 80 MB images or HULU. No other times.

And at any rate, is a painful issue and unsure what else to do to track down.

Tomorrow I have new HDMI cables coming and will undock and hook monitor directly up to the laptop HDMI port and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Thanks.

~Bob

Jul 26, 2023
OK, I figured if I tried to install latest dock firmware, it might tell me I have the latest version. No one addressed that question. So I tried.

Appeared to do nothing. So I tried again. Several times. Nothing. No dialogs. Nothing.

Then I noticed a file on my desktop that tells me I have the latest version!! But I cannot tell if that was before I tried the update several times or after it appeared "to do nothing".

Now, next:

I have the external on HDMI 1 connected to the dock and working/ .I got a new cable and connected to HDMI 2 and connected that to the laptop directly. The monitor wil not find a signal.

Can you not have the dock and laptop HDMI connectors connected at the same time. Should this work and allow switching ports on the monitor or.....

I have not yet tried undocked.

Thx.

Jul 26, 2023
Had some time to test today. This screen blackout does NOT happen when undocked and the monitor is connected directly to the laptop via HDMI.

So now we know it is the dock, or "perhaps" the laptop connector to the dock, though it works until some amount of image manipulation causes the signal to be lost by the monitor. So I would guess not the laptop side of things.

Some amount of progress, but how do I determine what the culprit really is?

Thanks.

Jul 26, 2023
This gets stranger and stranger!!!

Here is my latest:

I have only two programs/instances where I have found this to be an issue:

1. The develop module of Lightroom (mission critical) and,
2. HULU through Firefox - not through EDGE!!!

So let's look at 2, which differs a bit from 1:

Connected via HDMI to the dock

-Open Firefox
-Open Hulu
-Click on FAVORITES for channels and immediately black monitor. Nothing to be seen yet audio is heard.
-Wait, wiggle mouse and all back to normal
-Same through EDGE - no issue
-Does not matter if Use Hardware Acceleration is checked or no

Undocked, connected via HDMI to laptop on HDMI 2 on monitor

-Open Firefox
-Click on HULU
-Do ANYTHING - no issues
-(in this mode, however, even though I have selected Color Management and sRGB as default, the monitor does not use sRGB, though it claims it does, but uses the D6500 profile and is over saturated)
-Go back to docked and HDMI 1 - issue immediately there.

Repeatable. Maybe not first or second try after reboot, but often enough to be considered repeateable.

I am baffled.

Once again, any chance it it a defective dock? I can buy a used one inexpensively but would not if it is unlikely the culprit.

Thanks.

~Bob