Lenovo T430 Laptop won't start

Jul 2, 2018
I originally bought this off eBay about 2 years ago. The only issue it has had is that the battery seemed to drain quickly as whenever I had the laptop on without the AC adaptor plugged in, the computer would shut off on its own within 10 seconds or so. As long as I plugged in the AC adaptor to the laptop, it ran with no problems

However, when I tried to power on the laptop yesterday, even with the AC adaptor, it would no longer power on. I did just come back home from the airport, so maybe that had something to do with it?

I followed all the steps here: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001127.htm

After following some of the steps, when I hit the power button on the laptop, it would flash for a second or so, and then stop flashing. Nothing ever appeared on the screen

What is the next step for troubleshooting? Do I just have to remove the hard drive and/or RAM and place them back in and try powering it on again? Or take it to a repair shop?

Solution
Your motherboard is not dead, you only have one defective component(s) on the motherboard. When someone said to change the motherboard, they do not know how to fix anything. If you can not repair a motherboard yourself, it is advisable to go to a repair shop to repair your motherboard. But if you can read the voltages on the motherboard, I can help you find the component that is defective. With this information, when you go to a repair shop, you will know exactly where the problem is on the motherboard.
Jul 2, 2018

how do I verify the RTC battery?

Jul 2, 2018

I have a multimeter. How do I find the RTC battery?

Jul 2, 2018

ok I found the RTC battery and disconnected it. I used the multimeter on the white end of it and detected a voltage

Jul 2, 2018

I don't remember what I got earlier. I think around .03-.3 V? When I just checked it again, I now find no voltage detected

Jul 2, 2018

just ordered a new RTC battery, confirmed there was continuity in it, and tried to turn on my laptop again, but it still wouldn't turn on. I followed the steps in the link in the OP, and I get the same problem as before https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001127.htm

Jul 2, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from m408052 : "Lenovo T430 Laptop won't start even with new RTC battery"

The laptop was working fine until a few days ago when I tried to power on the laptop, even with the AC adaptor, it would no longer power on. I did just come back home from the airport, so maybe that had something to do with it?

I followed all the steps here: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001127.htm

After following some of the steps, when I hit the power button on the laptop, it would flash for a second or so, and then stop flashing. Nothing ever appeared on the screen

I then checked for continuity in the RTC battery, noticed there wasn't any, so I ordered a new one and confirmed continuity in it. However, the laptop still won't turn on, even after following the steps in the link above

I also tried to remove the hard drive, but it is stuck: I removed the keyboard and palmrest, but the hard drive is still stuck and I can't pull it out. Here's some photos: https://imgur.com/a/0Ugcijv

What is the next step for troubleshooting? Do I just have to remove the hard drive and/or RAM and place them back in and try powering it on again? Or take it to a repair shop?

Jul 2, 2018
I just removed the Hard disc, RAM, and WLAN. I then plugged in the AC without the battery, and once again, when I hit the power button on the laptop, it would flash for a second or so, and then stop flashing. Nothing ever appeared on the screen

does this men the motherboard is dead? I have to take this to a repair shop or buy a new laptop?

Your motherboard is not dead, you only have one defective component(s) on the motherboard. When someone said to change the motherboard, they do not know how to fix anything. If you can not repair a motherboard yourself, it is advisable to go to a repair shop to repair your motherboard. But if you can read the voltages on the motherboard, I can help you find the component that is defective. With this information, when you go to a repair shop, you will know exactly where the problem is on the motherboard.

Solution